Christmas- Santa- Do you tell the truth?

Uh boy.. we wont have to worry about this quite yet, but hubby doesnt want to "lie' to our daughter about Santa (Christmas is about family and giving, not religion for us) I told him I dont want to lie either, and suggested telling her the story of Santa.. I dont want her to be "that kid" who goes to school and ruins it for the other kids, and makes herself an outcast...

What do you all do? Halp!!!

ZoeKatsMom

Asked by ZoeKatsMom at 4:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Just for Fun

• My SO and I talked about this before we/I got pregnant. We do not want to tell our son about Santa bringing all of the gifts and what have you. I do not want to lie either. We still are trying to figure out the best way to go about the whole thing. Some people think I am ridiculous because I am apparently robbing my child of childhood fun, but to each their own. I stopped believing in Santa when I was 3 because my cousin stayed over with my sister and I when my parents and family lived with my grandparents. She woke us up at night to show us them putting our gifts out. I never ruined it for anyone else. I still think that was a bit**y thing for her to do.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 4:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• We have chosen not to lie to our children either, We did not tell them anything about santa and when certain family members tried to tell them about it they would come home and ask and we told them just the facts, and now they are 8,6 and they say they like that we don't lie to them and they understand not to ruin it for the other children in their class. We do celebrate christmas and exchange gifts but we don't put up a tree because thats the santa claus thing, we celebrate Jesus birthday and spend time with the family. Yeah people think we are crazy but I dont care they are my children and the way I see it if I don't want them to lie to me I will not lie to them. JMO
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 4:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I was one of the unfortunate children that had it ruined for me when I was in school. It was fun imagining Santa. We did not lie to our children. We told them that Santa was a symbol of Christmas giving presents, and we talked about the Christmas story. We evaded saying who brought gifts, and they never asked. We did tell them that the Santa's in the stores were Santa's helpers. We did not make a big deal about Christmas morning as the time for gifts,although they had their piles of presents. I'd say that our policy worked fine.

Answer by Bmat at 4:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• It not necessarily lying to them. Its invoking their imagination. I mean, you would read them books and stories to inspire them to "reach for the stars" in life without telling them they they also could turn out to be a bum and a cocaine addict, wouldn't you. Well its kind of same same concept in a less meaningful way. It teaches them to give and not be selfish. They will figure out soon enough that the world is a sucky place where nothing really unexpected or extraordinary happens; its better to at least try and convince them otherwise.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 5:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i never belived in santa growing up..and i will not let my daughter believe in him either..shes 4 so she knows who he is..but, i do not tell her that he is the one who brings all the presents..she gets her picture taken with him every year, but thats it..i g uess its just more or less i cant be bothered hiding santa from her..i dunno..i just think its ridiculous how many kids out there thing santa is real...thats not what christmas is all about..im not a religious person or anything..but..celebrate for the right reasons...not for the wrong..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• We're not going to spoil that magic of Santa any time soon. Our dd is in 3rd grade and probably the only one that still believes. It's too fun! We've even talked to her about how to respond to those kids who don't believe any longer and tell her he's not real.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Honestly, I don't consider telling and letting my children believe in Santa, lying.
    Anonymous