what are some good ways to teach/train my 5 year old about anti consumerism?

my five year old daughter's bday is today and with xmas coming soon all the conumerism with kids living in haiti with nothing literally, is upsetting. what experiences/lessons are good ones for kids her age to learn how fortunate she is and how to 'give back.'?

thecakemama67

Asked by thecakemama67 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make her Christmas list inside out: what will she be doing/giving to others? Make yours that way, too. Whenever someone asks you what you want, either be really specific (I'd kind of like to have some candles) or really vague (oh, I wasn't think about that at all... hmmm...what do you want for yours?)

A family I know gets so keyed up by Christmas Eve that no one can sleep and they end up napping half the next day, because they're dying to see people's reactions to what they've been plotting since August. That they're getting stuff really doesn't come into it for any of them, the youngest is 4. And their budget is mostly food (cookies and Christmas dinner), not gifts.

By focusing on what other people enjoy, what is meaningful to them, what they like... well, it brings back the spirit of giving, don't you think?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Go volunteer and take her along

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Good luck on that volunteering thing. I tried to do that with my then 6yo last year and nobody was interested in anything that involved him helping out as well.
    Anonymous

• If your child has toys, have them help you sort them out to donate to others. Linda had a good idea with making Christmas about others. It should be anyway, and I try to teach my children that, but they still want everything and anything : ) I just tell them that life is more than about "things". I try to teach them by talking to them about it and showing them.

I still think young children should get something on their birthday and Christmas, whether it's a toy or not is up to you. If it is, make it one thing, and something special.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 4:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Before the holidays pick an amount of toys that your child should come up with on their own to donate to shelters. You can explain to them who the toys are going to go to and how it will be helpful for them. It will also get your house cleared FOR Christmas. You can also find out at local churches if they are doing a Samartin's Purse or anything like that and you and your kids could do that together. It is a wonderful thing to do.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Miracle tree. Let her pick out a gift for another child and explain to her that their mommy and daddy couldn't afford to give them one.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:27 AM on Nov. 16, 2010