According to the Bible, do you REALLY need a marriage license from the gov't before you can have sex and children? Why can't a man and a woman simply be committed to one another?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Why can't a man and a woman simply be committed to one another?"

--

Because marriage is a big business for the church which brings in money. Just like no birth control rules and the antigay agenda of the church. Gays and people using birth control are not spawning little minions for the church to suck money from.
    Anonymous

• I believe that the bible predated actual government; I'd guess that strictly speaking the bible doesn't care if you are recognized by anyone other than GOD himself (via a church process of some sort) as being married.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• BTW - the government doesn't care if your marriage has anything to do with the bible, it's technically a legal proceeding and has nothing to do with religion. :) (Forgot to put that part in my first response.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Every time a man and woman lay together I'm sure they think they are committed to each other until they are finished and go their own way...then when a child gets involved it complicates things. Many self commitments are short therm. The contract (paper) gives them an opportunity to remember to stay committed, not move on to the next and the next partner.
    Anonymous

• You don't neede a license but you do have to be 'married' in the eyes of God. Usually that mean a church and priest/pastor/reverend must be involved and they require the government documentation.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• This is another "its just a piece of paper" questions in disguise.
    Anonymous

• What about those of us who got married at the court house Anon? I dont go to church.
    Anonymous

• I honestly don't believe so, no. Especially when you understand the history of marriage itself. Owen Chadwick talks about it in his History of Christianity. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Committed relationships, with or without a paper, are only as committed as the people involved.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The Bible tells us to obey the laws of our land, in this case, the laws say you aren't married until you have the piece of paper...so yes, you do need a marriage license. If you were stranded on a desert Island somewhere, I would say no, but thats not the case here.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2010