Is there a growth chart specific to breastfed babies?

I can't find one, and I have looked everywhere I can think of.

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Ask your pediatrician

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think growth charts are same for the most part, I don't believe theirs one just for breastfeed babies but ask your peds
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 3:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Check out da WHO's ( world health organization) growth chart. That's what most breastfeeding mamas go by. U'll c a difference w da who's n ur peds chart.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• They exist, yes.

I wish they didn't. I wish there were no growth charts, because they encourage people to measure the wrong things for the wrong reasons and then compare them to irrelevant data.

The child needs to be growing, in height, weight or head circumference --unless sick-- pretty much all the time. That was, to make it clear, an OR, not an AND. In SOME way, the child needs to be growing pretty continuously --but normal human growth is not a straight line at a 45 degree angle. Normal children grow a bit taller, get a little rounder, grow their heads a bit, get a little rounder again, get taller... all while holding pretty stable in the other two metrics.

If the child is in the 3rd percentile on any chart, it only means that in an average (mid-western, germanic) group of 100 kids the same age, 97 of them are -er than her (taller, heavier, bigger heads) ... not that she's under- anything. Someone has to be.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart3.html
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Gen

Answer by Gen at 3:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Sorry, I breast feed all my kids and never knew there was specific breastfeeding charts
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 3:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010