renting an older house..need decorating ideas(christmas)

the house we're in for just a while longer (will be here on christmas, darn) is very old looking on the outside.. its beautiful inside.. because it was remodeled.. however they didnt touch the outside!! there are NO shutters which I cant stand.. how can I decorate the windows Christmas like?

there is a big front porch, but its just cement.. need some decorating ideas for porches.. also have a back patio that you can see out of our kitchen double french doors.. any ideas on how to decorate that?

thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Holidays

• How is the landscaping? Does that need help?

Because it would detour from the decor if overgrown shrubs and trees are there. If you have a fence I've seen people put lights on the fence. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Personally, I wouldn't bother. If you are only there for a little longer. The things you buy may not fit into your new place. I would put a wreath on the door though.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• White lights look more classy to me than the mulitcolored, so if you are trying to make the place look nicer, I would go for white lights, lots of greenery (like wreaths, swags, garlands, etc). You can always do evergreen garlands around the doors and lighted evergreen swags over the windows. Hanging large lighted wreaths in the center of the windows is also a nice idea. I would go with a natural theme decorations outside because adding in brightly colored things MAY (I don't know how your house looks) make it look more gaudy. If there is a porch railing, run white lights around that also. Like the post above said, trim any overgrown shrubs and trees, try to make it look as nice as you can with the landscaping. Drape net lights over shrubs and low trees also.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The landscaping is nice, we always keep up with that.. lol.. its just the outside house itself is what looks not so cute! And i love decorating.. so im def. not skipping it! we have 3 children and id never not decorate!! everything we have will fit into the house were buying, its bigger, so i can even buy more things.

There is a HUGE yard, its all fenced and a really cute shed that i want to decorate somehow..I agree w/ the white lights! Im not a fan of multicolored lights either! I think i will use more greenery and garland this year, thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Wreaths on the windows outside
    I have all of my blow ups arranged on my lg front porch...
    Lg greenery/garland light up or plain draped around the front of the porch...
    I also have several light up trees on my front lawn along with our nativity scene...
    Inside windows, use foil snow flakes, they reflect light...
    use icicle lights around porch...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• check out hgtv.com. They always help me with ideas.
    Schaun

Answer by Schaun at 9:24 AM on Nov. 25, 2010