When your kids share a room...

...how do you decorate so each one has their own little space?

mz_erica03

Asked by mz_erica03 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have twin boys that are sharing a room, and they like the same things, so it's easy. Sorry I can't help.
    busyyoungmom

Answer by busyyoungmom at 3:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Take them shopping and let them pick out a few things on their own that way it is personal they picked it themselves. Other than that just decorate cute and that way they are bound to both like it!
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• We didn't ever worry about that at all, and our boys, who were 7 years apart, shared a room for about 15 years. They had their own spots to put their things, and we didn't have to mess with it. They are still very close today at the ages of 40 and 33.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• have no idea I have been wondering the same thing though. Well for right now my girls ages 5 and a half and nearly 3 have their own bedrooms, but DH and I are trying to have baby number 3 so the baby will have its own room for a while so the older girls would share a room and not sure what to do since my oldest loves hannah montana and my youngest loves dora. So I was actually thinking on painting their room a very light purple with some pink in there somwhere. Then do one bed in hannah montana and the other bed in dora. Not sure on what to do for the certains though. The thing is if we have another girl the baby will have its own room for a while until she gets big enough to share a room then I will have here and my youngest dd sharing a room leaving my oldest with her own room. If it is a boy however then he will have his own room
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Separate the room into two spaces to decorate: two walls each that need (if it's important to you) to go well with the floor and ceiling and furniture (I'm assuming you're not re-furnishing, but I'm not sure why that is...)

It helps if the floor and ceiling are pretty neutral (like, not a cherry red carpet or a yellow ceiling), but those are just constraints of the design, like where the windows are. You can work around anything.

If their beds face in opposite directions, I'd get them to do the wall beside themselves and the wall they face rather than the more obvious wall their own beds touch, because that way when they're sitting in bed they're each looking at *their* room...

LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Let them pick out something they both enjoy, like animals most kids like animals you can have all kinds. Horses are easy to decorate with. If they wont agree let them have their bedspread of their pick. Some pictures of their choice and maybe you can pick a border.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• All 3 of mine share a room, and of course being different ages and different tastes they do not agree on anything. My hubs and I picked the paint colors for the room. My oldest has the wall next to his bed and at the head of his bed as 'his space' and he has Twilight posters put up. My middle and youngest have a bunkbed- so along their walls the middle gets the top, the youngest gets the bottom of the wall- right next to his bed.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I let my kids pick out their own bedspread themes. We all know they are certain distinct colors. My son chose blue camoflage and my daughter picked tinkerbell (light green and lavendar.) I didn't planned for them to share a room but for a spell, it was that way because they were both afraid to sleep in their own rooms at night. The room 'flowed' nicely because it was a big room. I think if you give your kids some choices on colors or themes, it gives them the feeling of owning their own space in a shared area.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 1:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010