Anyone from NYC?

Ok this is a dumb question, but we are taking a trip to NYC for a week and everyone always tells us "don't get mugged!" I know they are joking, but how common is that in NYC? Is it something we should really be careful of? Or is it just a stigma? Are there certain places to avoid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Travel

• It's just something to say. It's quite safe really. Obviously be mindful of your purse, don't put it on the back of your chair in a restaurant. But I've been to NYC every day for 25 years. I have never been mugged. Have fun!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Plan your trip and know where you are going and what you want to see. Be mindful of people bumping in to you and such as that can be pick pockets at work. But relax and enjoy!! I have been there many times and love it. You just have to be smart about it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I love New York... Its my 2nd favorite place so much to do... as long as you your careful you should be fine I have never ever had a bad experience in New York... my son who is only 19 goes to New York all the time by himself he has been doing so for a while now and he has never had an issue so I really hope your trip is enjoyable :) Have fun....
    Debalexxa

Answer by Debalexxa at 4:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• If it were that unsafe do you think people would keep going there. It is safe as long as you stay smart.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Its VERY crowded! I went once & did not care for it at all, I couldn't even walk on the sidewalk!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:11 AM on Nov. 21, 2010