Are there any other grandma's involved in raising their grandchildren?

ksullivan61

Asked by ksullivan61 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

• I am sure there are quite a few on here. I am not a grandma but I did end up with custody of my niece. She is now grown and on her own. It is not an easy thing to raise someone else's child. I wish you the best!
    AKEllen

Answer by AKEllen at 2:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I did for a number of years then my dd took him and moved in with a guy. I should have fought harder to keep him. A few years after she took him he started getting in trouble. She was leaving him alone a lot, not making him do school work and not asking where he was going when he left the house. He is now doing time in an adult prison (as a minor). I will probably never forgive myself for not insisting he stay with me.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I just wanted to say that although I'm not a grandmother raising a grandchild...I was raised by my grandparents and I just wanted to give you ladies a hand who are doing this. My mother did end up getting custody of me back at age 11...and I look back and honestly wish I had just stayed with my grandparents (much more stable and loving home). So just a big *hug* to you ladies...I'm sure it's a hard situation to be in.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:13 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I am..... well technically I wont be involved until November when he or she arrives.  But his mother (my son's girlfriend) currently lives with us so thats why I say yes.  They are young so I am the one who clotheds her, feeds her, makes sure shes eating right, going with them to doctors appointments and buying the stuff that the baby needs etc.  and I can't forget, answering the 101 questions her and my son have about the baby.  So I consider myself involved in raising the baby (because they will still be living with me after the baby is born) and very involved in rasing both of the babies parents.   And I plan to be involved for as long as I'm living.
    MrsJacksonWest

Answer by MrsJacksonWest at 8:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My grnadmother is and has been for 16 years now. Her mother lives in a neighboring city and sees her and the family often, but shes not a good mom. I help my grnadmother alot with my cousin.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I am not a grandma, but I was raised by my grandmother. I know it must have been hard for her she got me when I was 3 weeks old. But she did a great job and I love her for it. She passed a yr ago and I still miss her.
    KiriandWyatt

Answer by KiriandWyatt at 7:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I am a grandmother raising three of her grandchildren. After all the damage my son did to all of his children and his girlfriends children, he wants us to just allow him to get back involved with the three we have. They have all turned their lives around and are doing great in school. Love to go to church and have come a long ways. At least no more throwing food, biting,etc. It's been a tough road up hill but we are making it. Their counslor wants him to work through them and he refuses to do that. They are such good children now and we would hate to see them hurt or messed up again. All I can say is hang in there and it will all be ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2008

• Yes.......I am a grandmother with full custody of my very small grandaughters. It is hard. If you need support or just to chat. You can message me.
    Abbey2006

Answer by Abbey2006 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2009