My 9 yr old still wets the bed. What can I do to stop it?

I know that this is due to medical and dad's family has had similiar problems. FIL will occassionally have bouts & he is in his 50s. Son's dr said to get a pad that makes noise when he wets, don't think that will work because he is a deep, hard sleeper & always has been. Have tried no drinking after 7pm, still didn't work. Underjams are getting more & more expensive. Can anyone please help me???

SMRagan

Asked by SMRagan at 3:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son was the same way. He didn't stop until he was 14. The alarm actually worked a little for us. It helped but did not stop it. I really tried everything. The only thing you can do is wait for her bladder to mature. I know it stinks. At the end, my son had to wear Depends because he outgrew the Goodnights. I am so happy that is over.
    Anonymous

• Nothing to drink before bed may actually make it worse, by leaving the urine too acidic in the bladder, which may still squeeze automatically when full (while sleeping).

The 'genetic' part of this is that some people take longer to (or never do) mature physically. Kidneys change from just making lots of pee all the time to concentrating it during sleep (or not)... and bladders go from emptying automatically when full to being able to be held voluntarily (or not).

It seems unlikely that anything can 'fix' this, apart from maybe getting over the idea that 8 hours of dead like a log sleeping is 'normal' or even necessary for most people.

A sensible 50yo would set an alarm for somewhere near the middle of the night and go take care of things. People can learn to wake up for whatever cues or commands they choose to. Learn being an important word, there.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:54 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Has your son been diagnosed with a small bladder or maybe something that can be fixed? I think there are more options out there then just commercial underwear or pads.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i dont really know what to tell ya, but i just wanted to say im in the same boat with my daughter, although she is only 6..but still, i feel your pain!!

my daughter doesnt get anything to drink after supper, which usually were done by 530..she then pees before her shower (around 6ish) and then pees again before bed (around 745ish)...i normally wake her up around midnight to make her go to the bathroom..some nights shes dry (YAY) other nights shes already wet..but either which way, i make her go when i wake her up..

i even tried putting an alarm clock in her room..i set it for 1145pm..so she could wake up, turn the alarm off..pee..and hop back into bed..but she slept right thru it, every night!! according to her..shes sleeping when she does it...soo really i dont know what else to do..i cant get mad..although i would like to..because she doesnt know..my brother did until he was 12..so who knows!! wishin us both the best!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i know a family that had several kids get success with the alarm. the alarm should be loud enough.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• He is on his third alarm clock because he is such a sound sleeper, I sleep pretty soundly and hear his alarm a good 30 feet away. He also needs to have a full eight or more hours of sleep because if he doesn't get it his seizures are worse. He doesn't pee all the time, in fact he can easily go for 4 hours during the day, drinking a lot of liquids and has no problems. At his last physical, we discussed with his dr since he is at the age where he is sleeping over at friends or having friends sleep over and wanted medical help with situation, or at least the knowledge that has been discussed with dr. Dr agreed that with family history and the fact that he easily falls in to a deep restful sleep (which according her, he needs due to size and medical issues) at this time there is really nothing that she would recommend other than the alarm pad.

I was just wondering if anyone else had another suggestion.
    SMRagan

Comment by SMRagan (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• A young relative of mine took a nasal spray medication. It is a prescription. It worked nicely for him. Sorry I do not have the name but your doctor should know
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2010