Peppermint water for belly aches?

Recently while I was complaining about my darling colic little boy's belly aches someone had mentioned dissolving a soft peppermint in about an ounce of water and that it was sure help with their belly aches. This being my 2nd colic baby i've tried it all, gripe water, milicon drops, bicycling the legs , etc. but this is one I haven't . Has anyone tried it? Results?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't think it would help at all.

If the baby's stomach is upset because of gas, it will have no effect at all --if it doesn't actually make more gas from the sugar in it.

If the baby's upset because of acid reflux, the mildly numbing properties of peppermint will make the haitus (valve at the top of the stomach) even floppier, while the water adds to the volume and sugar adds to the acid available to burn the esophagus.

Did you try fennel tea? I've known a lot of people who've had great success with it as a digestive aid. Just crush a handful of fennel a bit in a measuring cup, pour in 2 cups of boiling water, let sit until room temperature and use a dropper to put a few drops onto baby's tongue. No sweeteners, no preservatives, no colorants... a couple of times a day after eating may make a difference.

My kids were colicky when their days were too busy --more than a couple of people over, more than one outing...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• ive never tried it because ive never heard of it....lay the baby across your legs and pat their butt and back...try laying baby on its belly for a couple minutes....umm try taking both legs and push them up to belly and holding them there for a few seconds....if i come up with more ideas i will let you know...my son had colic really bad and it wouldnt stop till i tried the tricks i just told you about.....some things work for one baby but not the other.....things will get better i promise
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• YES! We only use peppermint for tummy troubles, and it works every time. We adults suck on peppermint candy when we feel nauseated too. Peppermint has been used for centuries to help digestive issues. Make sure the tea is weak when giving to kids though. It can give a burning (minty) feeling.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It worked for us!
    LadyofIvory

Answer by LadyofIvory at 3:12 AM on Nov. 16, 2010