What kind of cheese do you use in your baked ziti? Or do you use sour cream?

Making some tonight, usually mix ricotta w/ an egg.. And ofcourse, mozz. and parm.. But
t Ive heard of using Cottage cheese mixed with sour cream? Just wondering how others make it. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Just like you fix yours. My husband's aunt (who was born in Italy) told me that when she first moved to this small town in Florida she had to use cottage cheese and Swiss and powdered Parmesan because there was no ricotta, mozzarella or Parmesan. I have seen some old recipes that call for cottage cheese and I think that was the reason. We used her recipes in our restaurant, and from time to time someone would ask me what was the funny tasting stuff in the baked ziti, and we would tell them the ingredients, I often got a "you mean you don't use cottage cheese in it"-as if I didn't know what I was doing. So I guess it just depends on what you're used to.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i make it the same way as you. never heard of cottage cheese and sour cream though, im not a fan of either that much so i wouldnt try it but hey it might be good!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I just use Mozz and it's so yummy!! Hubby won't let me put sour cream in anything!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta because ricotta can get grainy. Then mozzarella and provolone on top.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 4:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I just use mozzerella and parm.
    shellbell75

Answer by shellbell75 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I use the same thing you do when baking mine. Doesn't hurt to try to mix it up a bit sometimes, either you'll create something you love, or you won't make it again =P
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Ricotta
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:19 PM on Nov. 15, 2010