Should I have another child, knowing it will probably be high-risk?

I lost my first pregnancy, my second (my son) was 6 weeks premature, my third (my daughter) was healthy but they took her by c-section 3 weeks early b/c of how they did my first c-section. Both of them were small in utero and are still small for their age...but me and my DH are small too. My family says I shouldn't have any more, but we want one more. Should I take my family's advice or risk wanting to beat myself up if/when I have another bed rest pregnancy?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 4:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Your family is probably worried about you after seeing all that you've went though with your first pregnancies. They're not being nosey or "buttinski's" after-all you were and still are their "baby" (if it's your mom and dad that's worried). It most likely will be a "high risk pregnancy" considering all that you've gone through. If it is something that would potentially put a baby's health at risk I wouldn't even consider trying to conceive it. Because I feel that it would be selfish of me to want to bring a baby into this world for my pleasure of having it knowing full well that it might have health problems. If it's just a matter of me getting bed rest and nothing else...like me losing my life...I would try to conceive.
    It's something to think about.

Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Well, first of all, your family doesn't make the decisions on what is right for YOUR family. Secondly, you and your husband are the only ones that should be deciding something like this and finally, it is your body so you have the final say on what happens to your body.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 4:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I say, don't talk with your family. It's not their body. It's not their family. It's your and your DH's family, and it's your body. This needs to be a decision made by you and your DH with the help of your OB. You will be the one on bed rest, and your DH will be the main one doing extra help, right? Your OB is your doctor. So, it should be you, DH and doc talking.
    Personally, I don't know. I probably would. Maybe, but I don't know how hard things were that you already went through. I might not. I really can't say yah or nay. Sorry:(
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If I had my doctor telling me that it wouldn't be my best interest to have another child, then I probably wouldn't.
    mz_erica03

Answer by mz_erica03 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Does your doctor think it would be high risk? Or is this just your family trying to be buttinskis?
    Anonymous

• I want another child, but it will get tricky if I have to go on bed rest.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It would most likely be high risk. I had a classic incision (vertical) with my son's birth, so I can't have contractions. Looking back, I wonder if there was something I could have done to avoid it. But I can't think of anything....except maybe more water, less stress.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It's up to you and your husband. You know what your body can handle. I can understand your family's concern about your wellbeing, but ultimately it's your choice!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think you should adopt. If it is a risk to your health, that doesn't help anyone and it puts you and your family at risk.
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 10:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010