14lb 4oz at 7 months. Wont gain weigt with formula, doesnt crawl or sit unassisted??

my friends DD is 7 months old and 14lbs 4oz. I seen her in action so yea shes developmentally behind and i dont know what could be wrong.. She told me her DD doesnt sleep at all at nite. she either is up or cries. She doesnt gain weight even with 8oz formula, she eats solids. she has seen a pedi but her pedi said she is delayed in motor skills. I think at 7 months if she cant sit n her own and just lays on her back and does nothing (because thats what she does) then there is issues. what could cause a child not to gain weight even if she is eating normally? and cause the other things i mentioned?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Her mother clearly isn't feeding her if she isn't gaining weight. IF ther child is delayed it also contributes to the parents not feeding her. I would tell her to see a specialist clearly the child has somethign going on.
    Anonymous

• Mom should contact the local early intervention specialists. It is covered by Medicaid and insurance. They will help with the motor delays, and possibly an occupational therapist or speech therapist if there are mouth/ swallow issues with feeding. Good luck to mom and baby!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Change formula maybe, and make sure the baby is getting enough interaction to learn how to sit up. They must be taught with practice.
    Mrs.Faith

Answer by Mrs.Faith at 5:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Sometimes even a baby that eats a ton will have trouble gaining weight (like my dd who is 14lbs 13oz at 10 months old). The developmental delays need to be addressed, and an early childhood intervention specialist would be a great person to do this. Also, some bloodwork to rule out this like metabolic issues wouldn't be a bad idea. Playing with the baby and keeping her interactive can help in the meantime, at least with getting her to try new things.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010