quiet time or nap time - at what age?

I have a 3 y/o DS. I've been giving him the option of quiet time or nap time since summer. When he had his paci I'd tuck him in and close the door, he'd often get up turn on the light and play for maybe 5 minutes and then he'd put himself down for a nap. Now he doesn't have a paci anymore (he tossed them) and now he won't nap and fights quiet time. My definition of quiet time is playing quietly in his room alone. My DH thinks I should just let him play wherever. My rationale - he needs some "rest" time (nap or quiet time) and "resting" won't happen in the living room AND my DH is gone for 3-4 days at a time - I need a break throughout the day. (When he napped I was often able to have his nap coincide with my 7 m/o's afternoon nap - so that I could have some type of break).

Quiet time or nap time, or whatever?

JCB911

Asked by JCB911 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That age is a transitional age. I know that if you did state run daycare, they would be required by law to have a rest period of some sort at that age.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My 5 year old still has quiet time with me and takes naps at school. I would keep trying for quiet time. With my son sometimes it comes down to both of us laying down and reading together.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• So not necessarily something I should expect him to do on his own . . .?
    JCB911

Comment by JCB911 (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think he needs a quiet time yet. Mine had to stay on couch or in bed, they could read or watch a tv show or short movie but could not play with toys. More often than not they fell asleep during this time and if they didn't they at least rested. Otherwise, they were complete bears with major meltdowns by early evening.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You could try having it be coloring or legos or some sort of quiet activity like that in the same room you are in. When my kids gave up their naps I had them doing a quiet activity in the same room as me and I took the time to enjoy a cup of coffee or something. Just an idea.......
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• When my son turned 3 it got harder and harder to get him to take a nap. He's almost 4 now and alot of times I'll just send him to his room for a period of time and tell him he has to lay quietly in his bed, he can look at a book as long as he's quiet. If he's tired enough he falls asleep.
    mindi6103

Answer by mindi6103 at 1:39 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My daughter stopped napping at 3. When she realized "life" went on while she was asleep, she was having NONE of it. *sigh*
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• i watcha 3yo and he naps every day. he also gets up early 430/5am with his mom so i figure he needs a good nap. in the past year he only refused to nap once. i think at 3 most still rest or start phasin gout a nap. i read him 2 books then turn on a radio to some easy listening music . he goes to sleep within 5 mins tops. i have to wake him most days. try to do storytime and see if he will fall sleep. GL
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My son is 3.5 and has not napped since he was 2. He sits on the couch after lunch for at least 30 minutes and watches a movie or reads books - I need some time to relax too! :-P I think it is fine to have him go to his room and rest for a little bit. If his room is safe and he is playing quietly and not waking your other child up, then I say go with it, as long as he is staying in his room. Keep putting your foot down and enforcing quiet time, especially if you feel like you need a break. He'll get that it is something he can't fight and he'll be less likely to fight you on it. Good luck!
    Annastacialynn

Answer by Annastacialynn at 1:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2010