How can teens deal with the suicide of a classmate?

A boy in my daughter's 11th grade class, a very talented musician, nice boy, everyone's friend, tried taking his own life Friday, and was on life support until this AM, when he died. The teachers were notified individually last period and they broke the news to their classes. All weekend the kids posted on Facebook and held a vigil at the High School track. The entire school was silent at the end of the day today, and my DD was crying, and on FB talking to friends. I gave her a hug and told her how sorry I was. This evening the kids have organized a memorial on the town green...but is this all enough for them to make sense of something so senseless? Not that there is any way to explain, but have you ever had this happen in your child's school? Such a gray day...

dflygirl7

Asked by dflygirl7 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• All these things should help but they will need to really accept it over the next few weeks and months. Be there to talk and let her know she can tell you her feelings anytime. Maybe do a few special things with her if she was really close to this child. I am so sorry. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:19 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• OMG, that is beyond awful. There must be counseling in school, check it out!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• 6 1/2 years ago we lost a teen to suicide and a friend of his also died (one was almost 16 & the other was 16). The boy who committed suicide did it by stepping in front of a moving train. His friend ran on to the tracks and grabbed his friend and tried pulled him off the tracks but he wasn't quick enough and as the train passed the friend was right next to the tracks & the boy was still on the edge of the tracks. The boy died instantly, the friend who tried to save him was thrown back by the force of the passing train and suffered massive internal injuries, was in a coma for several days and died. Students from 5 different school were affected by their deaths, everyone knew these boys and it devastated many people when they died, my own sons included. They had vigils, memorials and some still visit their graves and leave flowers. Time is really what it will take to get through this. Hugs and prayers being said for his family.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010