• In the Spotlight:

Do any of you grow grapes ?

If so, have you ever used them to make homemade wine ?

IndigoRose

Asked by IndigoRose at 5:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We just put in 2 wine varietal grape vines. They are 2-3 years old and should start producing so we can make wine next summer. DH got us signed up for some partnership program that will teach us how to do what we need to do. People will help each other with their wines and then trade as well.

I have made grape jam from my mom's grapes. They aren't good for much else because they are just tasteless on their own. They might make a good concord wine, if you like concord wine (think Manischwitz)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• my dad used to grow muscadine and made wine from it when i was younger. he taught my brother how to make it but i never learned. we also used to pick wild blackberries and he'd make wine from that. he'd actually make wine from just about anything. i would NOT recommend persimmon though! that was the nastiest wine ever!
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 5:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• When I was growing up my Nana and Grandparents made homemade wine. Italian Vino!! I remember getting to stomp the grapes in a huge wood container in the basement. They also made juice and jelly. I live in the same house and I just eat the grapes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• balagan imma : That is so COOL... I always wanted to grow wine grapes, but we live in the wrong part of the country for it.
    IndigoRose

Comment by IndigoRose (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• mellypoo : WILD BLACKBERRY WINE !!! OH,---YUM !!!
    IndigoRose

Comment by IndigoRose (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2010