seriously, wtf? need to vent about this.

i have an outside cat and live in an apartment complex. we have a screened in porch that you walk thru first before you get to the front door. anyway that's where his food and water are kept, and he only comes to the door when he's hungry and he lets us know by meowing.

never in all my life have i had such a problem with this. kids across the way are always trying to steal him, and other people are putting him back inside my porch. really who the hell opens your porch door and puts your cat back in it? who the hell do they think they are? he doesn't bother anyone! he LIKES being outside. i can lock the screen door, but if im getting unexpected company they won't be able to come in so i only lock it at night. it's not like anyone here has their own garden or grass that he shits in, it's all part of the apartment complex.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Pets

• I hear about these things often. A friend who lives in Vegas came home to visit Oregon and while we were chatting, she had to take calls from strangers about her outdoor cat being "found" at the address listed on his collar. People just think they're helping, which is kinda nice in the thought, but annoying if you've had to tell them repeatedly that all is well.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• He might like being outside but it lowers his life expectancy.
    Anonymous

• Outdoor cats on average live at least 10 years shorter than indoor cats. They're exposed to diseases, traffic accidents, and asshole people. If I were you, I'd be thankful that at least these people seem to be concerned for the cat's welfare, instead of torturing/killing it... And by the way, just because people don't have their own private yard doesn't mean they like having to deal with cat shit/pee in common areas...

If you want to be a responsible cat owner, keep your cat indoors.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• There probably are pet laws in your city. Even cats are supposed to be leashed or contained. Maybe these people just think they are doing you a favor.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Personally, I dont pay any attention to other people's pets unless they are bothering something of mine.
    Anonymous