Do you have a really good recipe for sauerkraut and sausages ?

Do you like German-style cooking ?

IndigoRose

Asked by IndigoRose at 5:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Cut up kielbasa, potatoes and onions into chunks of about the same size. Put in a slowcooker. Add a bag of sauerkraut, with the juices. Add dollops of butter and cook on low for about 4 hours (until potatoes are done.) Can also bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. I have even made this by frying the potatoes, adding onions, green peppers and the sausage. When almost done, I add the sauerkraut until heated through.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Okay...One of the reasons I posted this IS because I LOVE sauerkraut & sausages ! And,---when I say that a lot of people tell me : " ICK !!! I ABSOLUTELY HATE SAUERKRAUT ! " I ASK THEM: "HOW DO YOU MAKE IT ? " "I open the can and heat it up", they say." NO WONDER THEY HATE IT !... HERE'S HOW TO MAKE GREAT SAUERKRAUT: Drain the sauerkraut, run water over it again & again. Soak it in a bowl several hours to remove the excess brine. Rinse,---rinse... ( See the excess brine is what makes most people's sauerkraut taste so tart & nasty ! ) Fry the sausages. Remove from the fry pan. In the same skillet, toss in the sauerkraut. Fry it in the sausage grease. You can add a little caraway seed if you want. Serve sausages on rolls. " WUNDERBAR !!! "
    IndigoRose

Comment by IndigoRose (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• This is very similar to how I cook it. I often saute onions or green peppers or celery or any combination. Here's another one we like
    Smoked Sausage and Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut
    Smoked sausage
    Barb-B-Que sauce
    Put sauerkraut in strainer. Run water over it to take out some of the sourness (or not, if you like it sour), drain. Place in baking dish. Cover with smoked sausage, cut into 3’ lengths. Pour about a tablespoon of your favorite Bar-B-Que sauce over top of each sausage piece. Bake in 350 oven about 30 minutes.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i dont have a recipe..but i love to cook ...
    sausage, potatoes and a little season whatever you like..
    cut it up smeer butter over it all and bake for and hour in foil..people make it at cookouts alot..its sssoooo good!
    kyliemaynard

Answer by kyliemaynard at 7:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Thanks for your recipes & suggestions, ladies !... I TOO JUST LOVE PEPPERS & ONIONS WITH MY KRAUT & SAUSAGES !!!... And,---I forgot to add this : I boil potato wedges and serve them with the kraut. The potato's mildness cuts the tartness of the kraut & is delicious !!!
    IndigoRose

Comment by IndigoRose (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010