What tricks do you use to get a toddler to stay in their bed at night?

Fuzzynvpeach

Asked by Fuzzynvpeach at 5:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I can't answer this one but I will be reading the answers you get. My daughter will start in her bed but every night in the middle of the night she ends up with us.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I use a trick I learned from a friend. For every minute that they fight over bedtime thats one minute early they go the next night. Now they cant' tell time yet true(this trick works with older kids as well who can tell time) but they know if they fight for an hour for example and they go to bed an hour early the next night(and miss their show) that(because you tell them) its because of how they wouldn't go to bed the next night. Other then that you just keep putting them back to bed but keep the clock running so to speak.

Now this will only work if you have a reasonable amount of control(discipline wise) already over your toddler/preschooler. At first with my oldest(because I didn't know what I was doing) I ended up having to give a few spankings to get him to stay in bed at all. Once he got the message I started to use this trick instead. And its worked wonders for all 4 of my kids. The record is 4 hours early to bed.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think I've tried every trick in the book and my kids are STILL crawling into bed with me. If I didn't have to work in the morning, I'd keep putting them back in their beds until exhaustion (theirs OR mine) kicked in o.O
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:48 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My son is 3.5 and we have continued to put him back into his room as many times as it takes to keep him there. We have fought with him for an hour at night to get him to stay in his room, but he has learned to stay in there. He still comes in our room at night sometimes, and sometimes we are just tired and let him stay. most of the time we let him stay for a few minutes to calm down from whatever dream or problem he had and then he goes back to his room. I have heard of some parents using "Monster spray"- water with a drop of food coloring in it, to clear the room out of all "bad things". I hope this helps - good luck! :)
    Annastacialynn

Answer by Annastacialynn at 1:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yay!! I have dealt with and overcome this problem so I am excited to help!! Get this book - Good Night Sleep Tight by Kim West

Another idea that is kinda presented in the book is to create a sticker chart it can be as simple as "stays in bed all night" or "sleeps by self all night" but we found it is helpful to put on the same chart things like "brushed teeth" "combed hair" "picked out three books" "said prayers" "put on pajamas" so that in case she doesn't get the sleep all night sticker she doesn't get discouraged and continues to work towards getting all of the stickers. At our house the stickers alone are a neat enough prize but if your child goes all week getting every sticker a special candy or something would be a neat reward for becoming a big kid
    NessGuinness

Answer by NessGuinness at 9:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2010