In your opinion: is an overnight job worth it??

I got a call from toys r us!!! I was invited to a group interview tomorrow (I filled the application yesterday online! they are quick!). The position I applied for is overnight. The lady said it would be from 10pm-6am, and they are asking for 15 to 20 hours a week. I have a 2 year old so of course after a long shift like that I'd only have maybe an hour of sleep since he wakes up usually around 7am, but only 15-20 hours a week I think I could handle... that's like 2-3 days a week. Worth it? I'm kinda excited. I've been a sahm for a little over 2 years and we could use the extra income

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 5:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• if you need the money, of course it is worth it. they don't call it sacrifice for nothing!
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 5:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I'm jealous. T'r'U didn't call me at all!
    Anyways, with a 2 yr old at least you can nap during the day when they nap and whatnot. If you need the money it's worth it. Especially with jobs being so scarce right now.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i do not think its worth it at all.
    maybe, if you ca handle it. if you dont have a temper, and are easy going and can handle being tired.
    your body will not get used to being up all night and you will be extremley tired.
    my SO took an overnight job same hrs a couple of years ago and it has basically ruined our relationship. he works 40 hrs a week though. my uncle also works overnight and they say it turned him crazy too. my mom worked overnight for a period of time and she said it was horrible.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Your body can get used to it if you eat healthy and get plenty of vitamin D and spend at least an hour a day in the sunlight. Good luck!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i worked overnight like that for about 3 months....and it about killed me. You cannot make up that missed sleep at nap time, u will be exhausted all the time. There was times I would lay down at 7 and when it was time to go to work at midnight, I just wanted to cry, bc my husband was laying there so peacefully and I had to go do crap work. :( not fun at all.........dont do it to yourself!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I only work overnights. It is no different then working days really. You sleep during the day instead of work during the day and you work at night instead of sleep.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• see thats why I'm asking ashisamom...I wouldnt be able to necessarily sleep during the day because I have a toddler.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• who the hell voted me down for telling her not to work bc she wouldnt be able to get sleep? You are an idiot whoever you are. I had 2 children under 3 at the time, so I think I know a little about it.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• luvmedic I know what you mean... even when my son was a newborn and woke up around the clock I was so jealous of SO sleeping...I couldnt imagine getting up when he's going to bed for an 8 hour shift....but we could use the money. I guess if I get the job I'll give it a chance.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• if its not a permanent thing you will be ok, but not sleeping all the time gets old really quick! I was good for a few weeks, and then I had to really force myself to go. Its too much on you when you are chasing a baby all day, and bad things happen to your clean house if you accidently fall asleep!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2010