Son refusing to poop?

My five year old hates pooping on the potty. It's getting to the point that he only goes when his body forces him too. He'll walk around in poopy underwear so that dh and I don't find out he needs to go. Any suggestions on how we can encourage him to use the potty?

KelliW29

Asked by KelliW29 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Some small children actually physicologyically feel that their poop is extension of themselves...and the toilet is a scary place.
    It's where things go down and disappear!
    Reassure your son that the toilet is only for poop and pee and that HE, himself, cannot go down the toilet.
    He will be fine! :)
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Have you tried some sort of reward? Or putting his favorite thing out of reach until he goes? I never did this but saw it suggested on here. He is old enough that it might work. Just ideas.......good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Without sounding too personal, what kind of poop is it? Hard and compacted or runny?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If he is having a hard time going you might want to research encopresisto see if his symptoms match up. He may need to see a Gastroenterologist if it's a continuing issue.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would maybe try a reward system.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If he has hard poop, it could be painful for him to pass it. When he does go, check it. If it looks like little round balls, he's prob constipated. Make sure he drinks alot of water...fiber...dried apricots or fresh pears always worked for my son. Use a reward system too. If it continues, check with your doc.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Thanks guys. I think we're going to try a reward system and see if that helps. If not he has an appt next month with his doctor.
    KelliW29

Comment by KelliW29 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• ask him why. does it hurt?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My 7 year old has this problem. She just refuses to poop, and then it builds up, and she eventually as a accident. (she swears she is just passing gas, but in reality she's passing watery stool that is surrounding the hard compacted stool)
    Anyway, we tried Milk of Magnisa (sp) and mineral oil. (mixed with a little dash of crystal light for flavor) and that worked for a while. Now, she has to take a prescription to help her go... but that was because after a year of the MM&M it stopped working for us.
    jsikapv

Answer by jsikapv at 1:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Have you tried rewards?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2010