rash on face after touching face with milk on hands

1 year old, just starting to introduce cows milk

MMMom1121

Asked by MMMom1121 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its possible that your child has issues with milk. If you breast fed it wouldn't have shown up because breast milk is safe even for kids who can't have cows milk. What type of rash was it?
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Very possible milk allergy. The doctors did a simple blood test on my DD just after her one year visit that determined several food alleriges. Some we knew and others we didn't. Let me tell you, finding out about the food allergies the hard way is no fun. I shudder to think what would have happened had we tried nuts because she has a severe allergy.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 6:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Talk to your Dr about it and get her in to get tested
    GL :)
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Rash looked like hives with small area that was slightly rough/prickly. My daughter became sleepy (just normal sleepy, due for nap)while in highchair after eating cherrios soaked in cows milk and began rubbing her face & eyes. The splotchy type rash appeared at areas where she had rubbed. I cleansed her face & hands with cool water and she stopped rubbing her face.There was little evidence of the rash within 30minutes. My concern is that she has a milk allergy as she is 1 week shy of being 1 year and we just started with the introduction of cows milk to soak her cherrios and has had a couple ounces of cows milk yesterday with a straw.
    MMMom1121

Comment by MMMom1121 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i would avoid cow milk. my kids never got it. we did not do any milk substitutes either. almond, soy and hemp milk are alternatives. i would avoid genetically modified soy, and i would look at the ingredients and sugar in anything.
    vitamin d comes from the sun and calcium comes from green veggies.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Final thought: Has anyone had experience with a child only having milk allergy when coming in contact with milk, such as on the skin, yet no problems ingesting milk? My daughter hasn't had any significant quantity of cows milk to drink yet, but she does have very sensitive skin and was rubbing her eyes & face with the milk/cherrios on her hands.
    MMMom1121

Comment by MMMom1121 (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I have not no and now that I think about it makes me think it might be something else not sure what though.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2010