When do you start introducing things like water and juice into a babies diet?

My mom said i should give him water now or when he's having issues pooping she says give him some apple juice.....

My son will be 3 weeks old on Wed.

lovingedward

Asked by lovingedward at 6:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• After a year old
    Don't give a 3 week old juice

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Call your doctor for advice.
    Don't give a 3 week old anything but breast milk or formula
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 6:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't give a baby that young anything but breast milk or formula. His digestive system is still very new and still figuring things out.

My mom would say things like "I was giving you XXX at X weeks old and you were just fine." This was bull. I had a lot of stomach issues and surgery at 6 months to correct a blockage and had minor allergic reactions for years.

I introduced water at about 6 months and my kids never got juice, except as a treat after the age of 2.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My opinion, is nothing other then breast milk or formula until AT LEAST 6 mos. Once you begin introducing solids, you can offer a sippy cup with a little water with the solid feedings. Juice...take it or leave it. It's a lot of unnecessary sugar for a baby. I would hold off on juice, maybe a little bit watered down after a year old once in a while as a treat. At 3 weeks old, I would not recommend anything besides breast milk/nursing or formula. What kind of poop issues is he having? Often, moms think there is a constipation issue when there really isn't. Can you tell me what the symptoms are and what his diet is?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• way to young now! wait until at least 6 months or 1 year! i started at 7 months!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i would say 6 months thats when my daughter tried juice
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I have a 5 month old that was eating every hour and a half at 4 months and the dr said go ahead and start him on solids, he gets rice cereal twice a day, once with a veggie in it (half of a stage one jar) but no juice. The DR said we could give him apple juice now also if we wanted, I just don't because with all my kids it has caused diarrhea and don't want to have that mess!
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 11:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• A few drops of cool boiled water is alright for a thirsty baby but not Juice until older.
    loleah

Answer by loleah at 5:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I gave my little guy cereal around 5 months, never gave him water to drink because I had a surplus of pumped milk that I didn't want to waste. I tried giving him juice at 9 months and he reacted badly to it. he is now 2 1/2 and still can't stomach juice.
    Justamom96

Answer by Justamom96 at 8:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• ALWAYS talk to your pediatrician when you have questions like these - they dont mind - that is what they are there for!
    ONLY give your baby formula and/or breastmilk until he is 6 - 8 months old.
    SnoBuny

Answer by SnoBuny at 10:37 AM on Nov. 16, 2010