As a new parent how do i get over my anxiety about things that could go wrong?

I am always worried about Sids!!!!!

lovingedward

Asked by lovingedward at 6:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was the same way, especially with my first, I was sooo sleep deprived, scared to death to sleep! You just do everthing your supposed to according to the experts as sar as sleeping, feeding etc... Be sure and have monitors! Believe me, babies are tougher than you think, the more famillar you get with taking care of them, it will get easier.You'll be fine!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It is okay to have anxiety, sort of :) It just means that you want the best for your baby, right? I had it too. I hope you know you are not alone and I hope it helps. I hope you also have a support system who will acknowledge your feelings. At best, I acknkowledge you mama. GL.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:19 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• even as a parent of 4..2 teens an 2 lil ones..i never get over the anxiety of what could go wrong..take each day in strides..
    the thing with SIDS..docs say its sudden ifant death but from all the deaths i have read on..most of these kids are classified as that when they cant prove what actually cause they death..but most SIDS are dome by being shaken an no one knows that they are being shaken..it takes some babies days for the shaking to cause damage or if the shaking is so severe they pass away with in ours..but a lot of times its done over a course of time..not all most..its really oxygen lost to the brain or affixiation..tho some may not agree with me..its what i learned during my criminology class..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 6:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think it's because they call it Sudden Infant Death Syndrome that it freaks me out. It makes it seem like it could happen at anytime no matter what. Scares me!
    lovingedward

Comment by lovingedward (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It does get easier as time goes on, but I don't think the anxiety truly goes away...welcome to being a mom! :)
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• As a new mom I think we all had/have it. If you are worrying about it that probably means that you are taking all the proper precautions feedings, sleep positions, fan in the room, temp of the room, etc. I know I was a wreck just thinking about it-but somehow you will find time to get some sleep =D Good Luck and Congratulations on you little one.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I have extreme anxiety about illnesses, especially Whooping Cough. I live in fear that I will hear that horrible sound come out of my kids. About SIDS, the numbers are really small and most of the risk is over around 6 months. Just do what the docs recommend and check often. That's the best you can do. I don't agree that it is usually from shaking, but there are other important factors. Smoking around Baby is a big one.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 7:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It can happen to anybody, but as long as you put your baby asleep on his back, then you are listening to the ones who know. I don't think that it is as common as it used to be. Have a little faith.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:07 AM on Nov. 16, 2010