Why do older people always tell you the wrong things to do?

I think every piece of advice i've been given by someone over 40 with children has been shot down lol

lovingedward

Asked by lovingedward at 6:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That's very narrow minded of you to say that
    Anonymous

• I'm just going off of my experience...i don't think it was narrow minded of me at all lol
    lovingedward

Comment by lovingedward (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Now why do you think we give the wrong advice? I think like when I was raising my kids that I did alright but now a days people let their kids get by with murder so to speak. I had a very strong upper hand with my kids and they minded I don't see all that many kids that mind or don't talk back to their parents now a days and run amuck and rule the show.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• like my mom and my mother in law and grandmother and older women that I work with all tell me things to make life easier for me but when i look it up are ask about it it's frowned upon severely like giving an infant juice or giving an infant cereal to make them sleep and fill fuller all these things have been told to me by women over 40. my question wasn't to offend anyone matter of fact it was meant to be funny that's why it is in the just for fun part lol
    lovingedward

Comment by lovingedward (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Because times are a changin'

My MIL told me to never talk to my husband about issues that really bother me...she said i'll be a nag & that men don't like nags..LOL! What a bitch, my DH laughed out loud at her....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Because they are things that worked for them and generations of women before them.  Don't automatically discard their advice because it's not supported by "experts".  We all survived being raised that way as did our parents and our grand parents, etc.  It worked for hundreds of years but all of a sudden "we" (as a generation) know better than hundreds of years of experience.

Obviously not everything they did is advised anymore (like people never used carseats 50 years ago) but just because a bunch of "experts" or books say something is wrong doesn't make it so.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Things that worked for your grandma, Mother, Aunts that's what worked for us I did all the same things. One thing I have learned and some people will tell you is never trust everything you read on the internet. In fact I have 2 grown children 33 and 30 and an 8 yr old and I did all the same things with my 8 yr old I did with my older 2 and they are all healthy and fine. There is someone out there that has decided spanking is bad for kids or vaccinating is bad for kids and then every one jumps on the band wagon and then starts thinking the same way. There are pros and cons to everything. I would seriuosly trust the older women in my life before an internet site. JMO!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Those things you speak of OP have changed because of research.. Back them it was OK, but now for most children it is not a good idea.. I still did some of those things with my kids and yes juice did help with constipation.. You really have to trust where the info is coming from and WILL it help your child. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't LOL...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:19 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If their advice conflicts with what you doctor has told you, then I would say you statement might hold some weight. It sounds like you are expecting them to solve all your problem by telling you what to do, and when something they've told you doesn't work out, you're getting upset. Lots of people with give you advice, telling you what worked for them. Well, it just might not work with your child. In comparison, do you have young people that have told you things and that always works out for you? If so, follow their advice. I judge people on an individual basis. If they've given me good advice in the past, I'm more willing to listen to their ideas in the future. I'm not sure what you mean by their advice was shot down. Did their advice not work, or did someone else say it wouldn't work?

SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I dont think bad advice has an age limit.... nor does the follower of the bad advice taker, as advice is often bent in it to whatever the advice taker perceives it to be. Its human nature to hear only what you want to hear.... and your above statements are a prime example of it.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 6:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010