Installing a car seat base in a chevy trailblazer??

We have an 06 chevy trailblazer and I have spent a lot of time trying to install the base today but I feel like no matter how I latch it in...I can't get it quite as snug in there as I feel it should be. The owners manual to the car says to use the LATCH straps, but the car seat manual says to use the seat belt. Any ideas?

MissyB993

Asked by MissyB993 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try youtube.com for an instructional video.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I use both the Latch hooks and seat belt, for double safety =)
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 6:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• How old is the carseat? Usually the latch straps are more secure than the seatbelt. I would do the youtube video and then if you are still have troubles call your local police station and see who in your community inspects carseats. In most communities you can take it to a local police station or fire station and get help installing it. In my SUV we also had to use a rolled up towel because of the slant of the seats.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Use whichever method gets you the best install. LATCH is no safe then seat belt, when installed correctly. Go to safekids.org to find a CPST in your area to assist you if you are still having problems.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• NEVER use LATCH AND seat belt together. In the event of an accident, the combination can cause too much stress on the seat, and cause the seat to fail! I know that it SEEMS like it would be extra safe to use both, but it is very dangerous to do so.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The car seat is brand new, im not sure what year it came out, I think its a 2010 model. idk, it was a gift. I had no idea that I could take it in and have it inspected!
    Im going to have my husband try it out and see if he can't get it to work better. We still have a few weeks but I just want to get it put in there just in case! Thanks everyone!
    MissyB993

Comment by MissyB993 (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You absolutely can go to a tech for help, and they're free. A lot of people think that you can go to any fire station or any police station and they can help, but many cops and fire fighters are NOT certified in car seat safety. Unfortunately, they might try to install anyway, and do it incorrectly, or give outdated information, even though they mean well. You want a CPST (child passenger safety technician). Yes, some cops and firefighters ARE CPST's, but many are not.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You can go by the police office and they will install it for you, atleast they do were I live.. But I totally understand when i first had my daughter i had the same exact suv. no matter how i used it the base NEVER stayed good enough, i even tried rolling up a towel and placing it in the gap.. Nothing worked so I just ditched the base and buckled her in everytime with just the seat belt thru the side latches, and used the safety clip to hold it in tight. I know thats hard work to do everytime you put your baby in the car but i did it every time to make sure she was as safe as can be
    Veronica-Lynn

Answer by Veronica-Lynn at 8:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Pool noodles can be used in lieu of rolled up towels. You can pyramid 3 if you need to.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Wow, I don't know who voted me down, and I don't care, but whoever it was needs to check their facts, because what I said was true.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2010