Would you feel comfortable sending your child on a school field trip to a muslim mosque? adult content

My 8 year old came home with a permission form from school for a field trip which included going to a mosque. My husband and I decided not to allow him to go. We are in a part of the UK where Muslim extremists are an issue. It isn't about hating a certain group,but about keeping our child safe. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No,because they should not be going to any place of worship while at school.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Safety first plus it's your personal decision to allow him to go or now. I know there would be a serious discussion between hubby & I over that and probably the choice to keep our kids home as well.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree with your decision. I think all in all its a personal one and I agree with butterflyblue.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would send my child. Education is the goal for the field trip, so I would let him go.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would assume a school would be smart enough to not take children to an unsafe mosque.... Just because *SOME* muslims are extremists doesn't mean the majority of muslims are.... Some Christians are pretty extreme too, would you forbid your son to go to a church?

Yes, I'd let my child go. I want him to be exposed to all major religions. For the record, I'm an atheist. But I want my son to make up his own mind. This is provided, of course, other places of worship would be visited too.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree with butterflyblue. I would feel equally uncomfortable with them going to a church or any religious event.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• No way, stick to it.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would have no problem in sending my child to a mosque as a field trip. I would ask if they would be going to a church and synagogue at some other point as well.

We live up the street from a mosque and aside from when they have their big service on Fridays at noon (too many people, not enough parking) they are the best neighbors. Every couple of years they have a understanding day and invite everyone to come in and find out about who they are, what they believe, etc…So, my kids have been in a mosque.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My son's school teaches about several different religions. As long as they are not preaching about only one, then I am happy for the education about religions.

And really how can you possible teach about world history and not cover religion? It is a major factor in most historical events.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Would you let him go to a catholic church? From Italy to London to Austrailia to America have major child molestation scandals going on so would you let him go?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2010