Lesbian Students Stopped From Graduating...

"According to KWTV News, 18-year-old Melissa McKenzie said she was kicked out of Del City High School in Del City, Okla., at the beginning of the semester when the principal found out she was living with her girlfriend instead of her family. The principal then told her if she returned to her family's home, she would be welcomed back to school."

How can they even do this?? It can't be legal!
If this was your kid what would you do?

**I'll post the link below**

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Seriously? I'd have to read the article first, but yeah, that doesn't sound legal at all... I'd be OUTRAGED!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• like you said this can't be legal. i'm sure the principal will be facing charges if he hasn't already. his personal beliefs on where she was living, and his sexual preference beliefs both have nothing to do with whether or not this student should or shouldn't be allowed to graduate. all that matters is if she kept her grades up and earned all the necessary credits to do so, didn't get into any major trouble at school, and nothing else!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• BAH!! Who do these people think they are, dictating what is "right" and what is "wrong". I think this principal set himself up for a lawsuit. And he deserves it!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Sounds totally illegal to me. I would hurt someone and demand my child be able to finish her education regardless of the schools thoughts on it.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• well, first of all there is no way any of my kids would move out of our home while they were teens and it wouldn't matter if it was a gay or straight friend. there must be a problem in that family
    Second, the school should let her graduate . Crazy stuff there!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Unless it has to do with zoning then I can't imagine that it's legal.  If she still lives within the district zones then all it should be is a change of address.  *didn't read the link yet*

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would be outraged and would raise hell!!! it still amazes me that this is still happening, isn't this were that other school board member was pushed to resign about the hate speech on facebook????

Answer by older at 6:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• OMG!! that's my high school!!!! how weird!!

anyhoo, that's incredible. kids live with people other than their parents all the time, during school-enrollment..that can't be any different than lying about an address to stay in a certain district..which i know parents do all the time FOR their kids..which is 'frowned upon' by the schools, but i'm sure it gets bypassed somehow.
    just incredible! there's got to be some other reason inconjunction with this looney story. right?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• no, older. that was some place in arkansas..different school, district , and state! LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010