How can I make him eat more?

My son is 18 months and isn't too much of a picky eater but he's teething so much that he probably takes about 4 bites and pushes it on the floor. I leave it ou and he normally goes and eats it later, after he's ran around. Since he isn't eating supper as good, is it alright to let him snack as much as possible during the day so I know he atleast has Something in his belly?

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can't make him, he will eat when he wants. My son does this all the time and you can't make him do anything lol, stubborn little ones.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• As long as hes eating, hes not getting overly hungry and eating healthy foods...let him continue to eat at his own pace. Some kids are just small eaters anyways. Dont push him into eating big meals if he doesnt feel the want for it. Forcing food causes eating disorders as the child/adult doesnt know when they are full so they eat excessivly. Sounds to me like your doing a good job, mommy...keep up the good work.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 6:54 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Is he underweight? if he is not, I will tell you what my kids pediatrician use to ask me, "what do you want to sell him by the pound or something?" Also giving him snacks will fill him up for that nutritious dinner you want him to eat.

Answer by older at 6:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• This is a pretty typical eating habit for a toddler. They're grazers. Remember that toddler portion sizes are much smaller then you think they are. If you google it, you can get a good idea of what is considered a portion for specific foods. You might find that he IS eating a full portion, or close to it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My DD just went through this phase... She would eat breakfast and then NOTHING else. It worried me a lot. But everyone said its normal. I am NOT a big fan of letting kids snack all day, and the best advice I got was "Stick to your schedule. she will eat when she is hungry. If you dont want her to eat ALL DAY, dont start it now.". And since, my DD has come out of that ohase and is eating her 3 healthy meals a day, with a snack of fruit or veggies once a day.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Toddlers are grazers my nature. Most do not eat 3 solid meals a day. They can go from eating ALOT to eating nothing/very little. They swing all the time. It's typical. So yea. I would suggest just letting him eat small snacks threw out the day and skip tryin to force him to eat a meal.

My son does this alot too. He takes a few bites at dinner and hes done!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 7:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2010