Education for an 18mth old.

What kind of education things should an 18mth old be learning? Colors? Numbers or counting? Coloring letters?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD just turned 18 months today and she can already sing her ABCs (skipping only 5 letters), count to ten, knows some colors and shapes.
    I would say the best thing to do is get some flash cards of the ABC's and start doing them with her throughout the day. 2 min here, 5 min there, limit TV time, and be consistant. They are like sponges. She also knows the words to her favorite songs, and remembers everyone's name.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Well, those things are a little advanced for an 18th month old. Really right now your cutie should be exploring the world. Provide as many experinces as possible. You can add the colors/numbers into your day. You can point things out in books(BTW reading is the most important thing you can do with your child....even if you get through 2 pages at least they are beginning to experince reading and language) you can say things like "oh wow that is a big yellow bus" or count as you walk down stairs. Enjoy this stage....you will be trown in to the 'educational' world soon enough. I would say closer to 2.5 years is when they are ready to learn colors. NUmbers closer to 3 and letters 4.

crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My son just turned 2. He knows all of his letters, upper and lowercase, how to count to 12, 8 colors, and 9 shapes. But we didn't do flashcards or videos or anything. It was all learned through play. We have puzzles, blocks, shape sorters, etc. and I would talk to him as he was doing it and direct his play "let's put all the green blocks here and the red ones over here" and then help him sort them. When he was doing the shape sorter I would talk to him about which shape he was putting in. His uppercase letters he learned from Leapfrog Fridge Phonics ($20 at Target) which was a great thing for him to play with in the kitchen while I was cooking. We have foam letter puzzles we got at the dollar store which is where he learned his lowercase letters.
    Kids learn best through play - just have fun!

Answer by missanc at 10:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2010