Nudity in front of the children....?

We have a 28 month old and 18 month old twins. I have no issue with showering and changing clothes in front of them. The oldest even showers with me. When do they become too "old" to see mommy naked?? I don't want to scar them for life!! :) And when do we split the twins into their own rooms as they are boy girl?

What do/did you do in your house? Thanks for the opinions!!

love2snorkel70

Asked by love2snorkel70 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Maybe it's because I grew up in a family where family nudity wasn't ever an issue... We saw our mom & gram naked all the time when we were getting ready to go places, but we were all female too... It was never a deal of any kind. Now, I have boys ( 3 & 4) and I am more comfortable being naked in front of them than my DH is... So I guess my answer is as long as you and they are comfortable with it nudity isn't something that needs to be hidden. I mean, lots of people feel nude = sexual. But I don't understand this thinking at all. There is NOTHING more natural that the human body, and so long as it's not being used for sexual reasons there is no reason to equate the two. So if you're okay with it, and they are okay with it, I don't see an issue.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• One of the biggest problems that we have in america is that we don't distinguish nudity from sexuality. Children don't really develop a sense of modesty until they are about 5 or 6. Honestly the kids will let you know when they start feeling uncomfortable with nudity with certain gestures (like covering their eyes).
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 7:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You will know when it's time to stop the nudity. They will say something. My son is 5 and we just stopped. I still change in front of my 7 year old girl. You will see when they want privacy from each other. It probably won't be until they are 6 or 7.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• This was my/our gauge ..

When my son voiced discomfort with it. It was time for it to stop.

Nudity is not a big deal to us in general, it is not taboo, it's perfectly natural and normal. However, each individual has their "comfort zone".. When my son's comfort zone was infringed upon, that's when open nudity stopped for us.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Kids have human bodies and they ought to understand what they really look like - both genders, at multiple stages of age. There are whole communities of people where clothing is minimal and those kids don't grow up to be sex addicts or scarred.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The nakedness, you stop once they start asking questions, and the separating the boy and the girl, I think you should split them around 6 or 7.

Answer by older at 7:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• What are clothes?
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• What's wrong with being naked?

Personally i don't have a problem with bodies, so see no problem with nudity at all. Children aren't scarred by nature, unless they've been taught that naked is bad or shameful.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:30 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Same-gender nudity is ok as long as parent and child have no problem with it.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My sons are 5 and 3 and I change in front of them still...it's never been an issue yet for us.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2010