Has anyone ever told you.....

being a SAHM isn't a job? If so, how did you handle it?
Do you think the same thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Just for Fun

• It's not really a job though.
    Anonymous

• No you don't make money doing it. But its still work that never ends.
    Anonymous

• ITA, how is it a job, when moms that work still have to come home and do the same chores a SAHM has to do?
    Anonymous

• I didnt say that they didnt. But like i said it is still work.
    Anonymous

• This is a very touchy subject for me. Why is it that some people feel that because we are SAHM that we don't work. Someone without kids has no idea how easy they have it to go to work everyday, come home and care only for themselves; I worked in Manhattan for 14 years and now I am a SAHM working from home and I can honestly say that commuting and working in an office all day is easier. I definitely would not have my life any other way; I love to be home with Peter and being a mom but it is defintely a 24/7 job; there are no holidays or personal days and it doesn't matter if you get sick; things still need to be done. Like I said, this is a touchy subject for me because for some time I felt like people looked down on me because I wanted to stay home with my son; I feel that he is my child and it is my job to raise him; not someone else.
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• It is a job that I thank God for everyday. There are rewarding things about it as well as things that I could just plain live without. I'm a personal secretary, maid, master chef, nutritionist, seamstress, yard crew supervisor, financial analyst, book keeper, athletice director, transportation specialist, personal shopper and social director, police/correction officer...the list could go on forever! I LOVE MY JOB!. I get paid for it but not always with money.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• When I was a SAHM I provided child care for my children. A working mother must pay to have this done unless someone else is at home to do it. Maybe my situation was unusual, but I also raised all of our vegetables and fruit and put them up. What I am saying is that I did do work at home that some working mom's can't do. I know that I was exhausted all of the time. I admire working mom's who come home and still have to prepare and clean up meals, do laundry, clean house.
    Anonymous

• I do all that stuff too, and I work and go to school. So it's like I have 3 jobs. Or is it 1 job per kid, then I have 4 jobs? idk, I'm confused.
    Anonymous

• I think it's a job because you clean just like a maid would do ...cook three times a day just like a chief would do ..watch over the kids just like a babysitter would do ...teach and feed the babies knowledge just like a teacher would do ...whoever said it's not a job is wrong in my opinion...and how i would handle it is tell them to myob because you don't live the life i live ...
    amiyamom

Answer by amiyamom at 4:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I agree -
    Is it a job? No. You don't get paid for it.
    Is it work? Oh my goodness yes.

How do you answer people who ask this question?
    If you are in a rude frame of mind you can tell them that it is a job and you get elbow injuries from lifting all those bon-bons all day and you need a new sofa to correctly support you while you watch your soaps.
    If you want to be polite, you point out that taking care of children all day is WORK and that moms who work outside the home have to PAY someone else to do what you do all day. If it isn't a job, how come they have to pay someone to do it?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2008