My daughter is not playing iwth the kids as much as she used to at daycare. All she wants to do is be held, she is 14 months old. My daycare provider (in home) says Camryn will disupt the other kids by crying or screaming if shes not held. She does not do this at home. Any suggestions? Also when she sreams my daycare provider puts her in her playpen, sort of a timeout?! Anythoughts??

Camrynsmommie

Asked by Camrynsmommie at 7:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is not good for her. How many children are in this daycare? The ratio for a 14 month old should be no more than 1 to 2 or possibly l to 3. They cannot receive the necessary care and attention with any more. Perhaps you would be better to find an individual to care just for your daughter.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It could be a form of separation anxiety brought on by a nightmare or some scary incident (Halloween?)
    Send in a special lovey that will remind her of you, or a picture she can hold when she feels upset
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• 14 months is an especially clingy time...I couldn't stand it. If I can remember right - for my son, it was really bad starting around then to about 16 to 17 months. My son's been in daycare and he didn't really have a problem there - more at home than anything.

Could be separation anxiety or maybe she's not getting the attention that she needs at the daycare? All kids are different. Do you have any other options? Maybe a friend that you can pay that would like to stay home with their kids? That's what I did after a long stint with a daycare center.

I don't think your daycare provider should be putting her in her playpen when she's throwing these types of tantrums though...I would think it would just make it worse. A corner or a time out area would be better so she doesn't feel so trapped and even more alone. Be sure that she IS getting sufficient attention though from this person..you never know.
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010