How do YOU make enchiladas?

Tonight I am trying something new and made up my own recipe for enchiladas. I made them with black beans, shredded chicken and a mix of colby jack and extra sharp cheese. And I made my own green chili to cover them.

They smell great! I hope they taste great too.

How do you make yours? I would like some authentic recipes if you have them!

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 7:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I don't. I make a mess! I have been banned from attempting to make them anymore, because the last half dozen attempts were something more like tortilla soup in a baking dish. It's been a few years, though. Think it's been long enough I can try MrsLeftlane's recipe and just not tell them what I'm making until it's done.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Pretty much exactly just how you explained....Only I sometimes use ground beef! I also sometimes put a mexicorn mix into it! YUM!
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 7:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I shred cooked pork, or chicken, ground cumin, salt and pepper, then mix cream cheese, salsa verde, roasted red bell peppers, chopped , 1 small onion( cooked),1tbsp minced garlic, and salt and pepper.Mix all ingerdients. Put it in flour tortillas, pour 1/3 cup of salsa verde in the bottom of the pan, and then add the filled tortillas. Then put another 1 cup of the salsa verde on top, cover with sharp cheddar cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 350. I have a headache so forgive me if this was a bit confusing...
    I also make spanish rice as a side dish, and chop green onion, lettuce and tomatoes to go with it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• http://www.campbellkitchen.net/RecipeDetail.aspx?recipeId=50780

I use this recipe because it's tasty and pretty simple. It might not be the most authentic, but hey, it works. The only thing I do differently is add more cheese to the top once they're rolled up and covered in the sauce. It is my humble opinon that there can never be too much cheese.

Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I cook chicken or a roast in salsa, cumin, green chilies, chili powder, and other seasonings until it is falling apart. Then I shred the meat and put it in a tortilla with sharp and mild cheddar. Sometimes I will also put in onions pr jalapenos. Then I top them with La Preferida enchilada sauce and some more of the cheese mix. The black refried beans are served on the side sometimes with rice and tortilla chips.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 8:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Zucchini and Cheese Enchiladas
    8 corn tortillas
    Olive oil
    2 med. zucchini, sliced
    1/4 c. onion, chopped
    1 sm. can green chili
    1 can whole pitted black olives
    1/2 to 3/4 lb. Monterey Jack cheese (I use less cheese and mix it with 1 to 1.5 cups of refried beans)
    Enchilada sauce (recipe follows for homemade sauce)
    Sauté zucchini and onions in olive oil. Pour some sauce in the bottom of an oven proof 8 x 11 x 2 inch dish. Heat the tortillas one at a time for approximately 30 seconds in the microwave long enough to soften so they roll without breaking. Too hot or too long, then they get too stiff). Dip warmed tortillas into sauce. Fill with small amounts of zucchini mixture, cheese, olives and chili. Roll the enchilada and place in dish. When you have filled the dish with 8 enchiladas, top the dish with the remaining cheese, olives and chili. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the entire dish.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• When you have filled the dish with 8 enchiladas, top the dish with the remaining cheese, olives and chili. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the entire dish. Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
    Enchilada Sauce
    1/2 c. onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1/2 c. vegetable stock
    1 c. tomato puree
    2 tsp. chili powder add more if desired to suit taste
    1 tsp. cumin
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    Sauté onion and garlic in oil. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for about 1/2 hour. (1 can tomato paste can be substituted for the tomato puree. Add water until you reach the consistency that you like).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2010