Are these ladies for real? or scams??

In the last few days I have seen profiles just made asking for help for Christmas, I just saw one a few minutes ago and last night I also saw a few, when I go back to their profiles, they are all new members, how can we be sure they are really in need?

Asked by older at 8:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in About CafeMom

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I would not send anything to anyone who is not a recognized member of the community, meaning I would be suspicious of new profiles.

That being said, the thing about giving is giving with an open heart. If you give to someone and find out they scammed you that doesn't lessen your good deed unless you let it. If you give with an open heart, your deed will always be wonderful.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You can't.. Some pray on the emotions of others.. I am sure many are having a hard time. Jobs are hard to come by but come on.. Go to your local church,food bank, DSS and get the help you need. Oh and if you are at home and asking for help on the Internet CUT it out, it will save you money you don't have to spend on non essentials...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Whether they are legit or not, this is not the place. If you want to help them, refer them to a church or charity that does giving trees. That way you are still helping if they are legit, and not being a victim if they're scammers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't trust them as far as I can throw them!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I call BS !!! SCAM ALERT!!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 8:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I haven't seen these. Are they asking for money or gifts to be sent?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• They are asking for money, gifts, food, I have seen some asking for clothes and baby items too...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If you really feel like you want to help find an "Angel tree" near you. There are often at the mall. Our VA has a special Angel tree for vets that will be inpatients over the holidays. Many of them are destitute and have no families. Last year one of the VA guys we chose wanted nothing more than a pair of heavy wool socks. There are lots of places to help. Sob stories on CM sadly, are not to be believed.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I feel so sorry for their sobs story I have been so tempted to help, but I am afraid you ladies are right!

Comment by older (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• That one was deleted

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010