What is this? Regarding mastitus

I quit BF about a month ago ang got mastitus (sp?) in my lerft breast. I can't go to the doctor about it because I can't afford it. I can't express anything either because the milk is too hard. I thought it was getting better but today I started getting pains in my nipple and I looked and there was a small piece of skin that was hanging. It looked like the skin of of a blister. Now the pain is back and I still have a hard lump. But what is the piece of skin like that for? I haven't cut myself or anything there, just wondering if it's related to the mastitus.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Health

• It could be. Use raw cabbage leaves, I know it sounds crazy, but put the leaves right on the affected breast for 45 min on, 2-3 hours off. It will help draw out the infection.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 4:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I think it is. If you don't have health insurance get Ameriplan and go see a doctor. I don't think you want to wait any longer. My friend had three of them and believe they are no fun.
    SaferAtHome

Answer by SaferAtHome at 4:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You can find providers in your area here.
    SaferAtHome

Answer by SaferAtHome at 4:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I have no idea about the skin thing, but as for the mastitis, you do need to go and see the doctor, now. Avoiding going to the doctor and getting antibiotics can lead to a breast abscess. The symptoms of a breast abscess are: excruciating throbbing pain, swelling, tenderness, heat in the area of the abscess and temperature swings between 100 and 103 degrees. The mastitis may have already caused an abscess. Mastitis is caused while you are nursing and bacteria gets into your milk duct. You said that you got mastitis when you quit breastfeeding a month ago. I doubt you're dealing with that now. The only way to get yourself better is to see your doctor. You can work out a payment plan if you have to, but you have to go and be healthy for your baby. Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• Put a heating pad on it and keep trying to get the milk out! Use lanolin on your sour and nipples. Massage the infected are and try vapor rub sounds weird but its kinda what they use on dairy cows and it worked for me
    Teraesa

Answer by Teraesa at 5:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2008