What is expected of your 4yo?

What are some things you expect your 4year old to do by themselves?
What are some thing you dont expect of them quite yet but are working toward?
Do you have a chore chart/reward system? Or ask them to do things as the day goes.

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 8:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• pick up her toys, pick up the dog's toys, don't make a big mess on purpose, help me with random things.
    I don't expect her to be perfect or get it all right all the time. She also can't do dishes or strenuous things.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My four year old is expected to clean up her toys, put away certain laundry of hers, put her plate on the counter when she is done eating. She keeps her room very organized most of the time. She's like me in that she knows certain things go certain places and she likes it like that. LOL If I put something where it doesn't "go" she'll tell me "Mom you know that goes _____". I love it :) She also cleans up her spills (which are rare) and she'll sweep up her crumbs, she also likes to vacuum and do dishes. I only expect laundry, toys and plates. Other than that, it's her choice. I don't give rewards other than praise. My almost two year old is expected to do the same as the four year old.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 8:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Well my DD has a puppy so she has to clean up the solid accidents and help take the puppy out with me. She also clears her own dishes after eating and helps set the table. She picks up her toys at bedtime and is only allowed one set out at a time. She also is expected to act her age, use manners, please and thank you and so on. Her reward is privileges, if she does not do what is expected of her than she will lose privileges such as going out to ride her bike or going down to the park or not being allowed to watch her cartoons before bath time.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 8:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I have our 4 yr old try to make her bed the best she can help put laundry away and clean up after herself
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I expect them to go to the bathroom by themselves and call it "privacy". I expect them to get dressed by themselves and to pick up after themselves. We do have a reward chart, but it is more for behavior (listening, cooperating and using nice words). I try not to overwhelm them, they are young!!
    jeroneka

Answer by jeroneka at 11:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2010