Why is it...

Why is it that some women bf for a half hour or longer and I bf for a total of about 12 minutes. My baby is gaining more than enough weight...and it was the same way with my first son.

siimply_me

Asked by siimply_me at 8:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first was really easy, a get-the-job-done kind of baby. The second was really lazy and never quite grasped the idea. Hard to know. Some moms don't get any "training" and that makes it more difficult. Lucky for me when my first was born a large nurse would come and wake me up every two and half hours, call me honey and baby a lot, slap my boobs around a bit, and show my newborn and I how it was done. Haha. SUCCESS!
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 8:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• All women and all babies are different. Some babies just want to comfort nurse for long periods of time. Some are lazy or slow eaters... some women don't produce an abundance of milk and baby needs to nurse for a long time and often to get enough milk and give mom enough stimulation.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• it all depends on the child and how they eat... I don't bf but my 1st was done with a bottle in seconds and my 2nd it takes her a half hour to eat! I just can't believe how slow she eats! lol
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My first liked to take her time on the boob, my second was done and asleep before half a sitcom was over.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The length of a nursing session depends on so many variables. The appetite of the baby, the age of the baby, the content of the mother's breastmilk, how awake the baby is while nursing, and how efficient they are at suckling are just a few of the things that can effect the length of a nursing session. My dd has times when she will nurse for 10 minutes, and others it will be almost an hour before she's satisfied. As long as you follow the baby's cues and feed them when they are hungry until they are full, you're doing it right :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I had a kid that would actively nurse for 20+ minutes at a time. But, give him a bottle and he would finish in seconds.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010