I really need some advice here, I'm a SAHM I have a 3yr old & 1 yr old......Finacially things have been really hard....alot of things went into collections (doctor bills,loans) but if I go back to work I Can't afford daycare for two kids & have no one to watch them

would you just deal with all the bills & take care of the kids or gfo back to work? My husband does get paid decent but our bills are out of control.....Thanks for your help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• It is so hard to be in that situation but keep in mind you are NOT alone. So many people are having to deal with the difficulty of being in collection right now so try not to be hard on yourself.

You may be able to do some back up child care or pick up/drop off to and from school for parents who can not afford the traditional child care/transportation situation. It can be so costly.

Also if you are so inclined (no all are) you may want to consider a home based business. I am not working one right now due to schooling but I am definitely going back to it. The one I chose was Melaleuca. You may find something that works for you out there in WAHM land.

I wish you the very best and please try not to let the stress of all this take away from the joy of being a mommy.

SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 5:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Cut your expenses. Set a budget. You can not continue to live beyond your means.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Can you get someone to consolidate your debts for you? Or maybe do in home child care so you can stay with your kids and make money while being at home? Do you qualify for state assisted daycare, at least till your financial troubles are taken care of?
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Is there any way you could get a job in the evenings?
    I know you would not be spending much time with your husband,
    but it might help to get you out of the spot you are in.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i don't know what kind of work you were doing...but maybe you could just do something part time to help out some...maybe just weekends when your dh is home..or something 2 or 3 days a week for a few hours. A waitress job is ideal for a mom in your position. it helps us. I work part time..get to be with my son when he is home. It may be a little easier on your dh though if you wait till your youngest is just a little bit older.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You could get a job at a childcare center, where the kids could go too. I know they would charge you a lot to have 2 kids there. I tried for years to find something. Unless you work while hubby is home or get a free sitter there really isn't anything until they start school. I cleaned office buildings and banks at night, while hubby was home with kids. That paid really well, 20-25 an hour. You could also file bankrupcy.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You could work when he's at home, on weekends or in the evenings. It's great that he makes good money but if there are bills that need to be paid, it would be good if you brought in some income to help.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I got a job working a different shift and or different days then DH. He worked M-F days and I work Fri, Sat, Sun night. It worked great for us. Two full time incomes and no day care expense.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would love to say I have an answer but I don't. I just wanted to say you're not alone. I'm in a very similar situation. Our money situation sucks. We live paycheck to paycheck. I have tried to get a night job here so I don't have to send my kids to daycare and all that entails but over the last year there has been a huge influx of immigrants. Since I don't speak Spanish I either get turned down or I don't even apply because the description says bilingual only. I'm in school, online classes, though so I'm hoping that will help us if I can get through it and find a job.

Hang in there. I know it's tough but the only thing I can suggest is if you can manage to find a job and a good daycare center that won't eat up your check, you could try that. Otherwise, just hang in there.
    Anonymous

• I would try to get some state help with daycare at least until you get caught up. Or another way that we recently just did was my SO worked two jobs until he got too tired. Or how about watching kids in your home?
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 9:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010