Sudden sleeping issues....help!

My bf 4 month old, who used to go to sleep and stay asleep pretty well (2-4 hrs at a time), has suddenly started waking EVERY hour at night....all night long! I don't think she is hungry because I can usually stick a pacifier in and she will go back to sleep every other hour. I don't know if it is the time change or what. I haven't changed anything though, except adding a little cereal about an hour before bed. This is getting frustrating and I am a zombie! Any ideas?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A paci is a temp fix my DD does it too. Try upping her feedings!!
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 9:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• She could be teething. I used Hyland's teething tablet to help us through those rough times.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I thought about that...but we just had her 4 month checkup and the doc said she didn't see any white spots....could she still be starting to be uncomfortable?
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• yes, she could. My son started teething (this is what his ped said when I was having the same issue) when he was 3 months old. He drooled all over the place and stuck everything in his mouth. He didn't get his first teeth until he was 9 months old. The white spots didn't appear to pretty near that time. Is she drooling and gumming on things a lot?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yes! She wets a bib is seconds and if she is awake and not in the Bjorn looking around, her hands are in her mouth or whatever she can put in her mouth....it is like she is obsessed! I have Origel (spelling?) should I use it on her gums at night?
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Teething, growth spurt, hitting new milestones. All of these can cause sleep disruptions. I personally would not use orajel at night. It's a numbing agent, and I have heard stories of it numbing too much and babies choking on saliva. Hyland's teething tablets work great. Adding solids will not necessarily make her sleep longer at night. My daughter slept through the night up until 5 months, and she was like your baby: waking up every hour or so. Most nights, I could give her a paci, and she'd be fine. It probably took her about 2 months to get back to sleeping like she had been, but there was so much going on for her. She hit a growth spurt in there; started teething (and those didn't come in until 8 months), and she started rolling and crawling. We added solids at 6 months, and it didn't make much of a difference. If you are going to start rice cereal, find one with brown rice as brown rice can help with sleep.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Cereal can also make them wake. It's a carbohydrate that raises blood sugar for a bit. When the blood sugar plummets again... baby wakes. I'd dump the cereal before bed. It's really too early anyway... six months for solids.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2010