Starting my 4 month old on solids. Any tips??

I have heard no sugary fruits like peaches at night, mix rice cereal with fruit after you introduce a few etc. Would love some more tips. She eats the cereal pretty well so far in the evening...about a tbsp. We just started a few days ago.

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, I think you pretty much got it down. Start with veggies....if she does well you can add some rice cereal to it to bulk it up. And start with the "yellow" veggies first. Like squash and what not. GL!!
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 9:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I remember from when my girls were little the doctor told me and my husband that one type of baby food a week, This will help you find out if she has any food allergies. also rice cereal is good, if she wont take it mixed with formula then you can try adding some apple juice to it. Good luck hope this helped
    toriturtle

Answer by toriturtle at 9:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Well, sounds good so far. I would say 'be flexible' and don't worry too much about this before that. It is important to intro only one new food every few day (for allergies). My son LOVED the baby oatmeal...more than rice. I think I started him with cereal and then cereal with a little applesauce. From there we moved on to veggies! I loved that process and I hope to do it again soon!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The biggest tip is to wait a few more weeks. Babies don't have fully capable digestive systems until 6 months or older.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I am having fun with it already and so excited to start making my own baby food. Some of the mixtures of Stage 1 foods look wonderful!
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My tip is to wait til 6 months old. Baby's tummy is not ready for solids just yet. Good luck!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My tip: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm read this.  I would stop the food.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• ya i started my son with veggies first . ya start with 1 kind os veggie at a time cause of food allergy. my son was 4mths when he started solids.. 6months is only suggested. so have fun!
    InsaneAngel

Answer by InsaneAngel at 1:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2010