Mother-in-Law in Delivery Room: Yes or No?

It's 4 months away, but I'm already trying to decide who I'd be comfortable with in the delivery room with me.

Who's for and against having their MIL in the room during the delivery?

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 9:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That day is of all about you getting that baby out into the world safely. Anybody who will help you toward that end (e.g. make you feel more comfortable, have a soothing presence, etc.) is fine to be in the room. It's really just about what you're comfortable with. That being said, many people do enjoy witnessing these things, so if you want to delight her with the opportunity to be there, I'm sure she would appreciate it, but first and foremost be sure that you'll be comfortable with having her there..
    katinthehat8914

Answer by katinthehat8914 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I only wanted my hubby.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• To me, if you aren't a medical professional and you didn't help create the baby, you shouldn't be in the room...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I'm against. I know too many women who had their MILs present and they have never let them for get something they said or did while pushing. I was there when my youngest grandson was born. I cut his cord. My son was deployed and her family is flaky. As a rule though..I'd so no.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• not my MIL...I just couldn't deal with that distraction. I don't even think I would want my own mother in there even though we are close. I just like to concentrate on my body and the relaxation techniques I use...I wouldn't want the extra people distracting me. No one in my family ever expected to be at my birth other than my DH...they just came right after.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I only wanted my husband. It seemed like something intimate that was meant for us. After all, we were the ones there when they were concieved! Theres plenty of time to share the baby, but I am SO glad that it was always just us at the begining.
    333sandy

Answer by 333sandy at 9:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    i had everyone there for my first baby and if i hadn't been strapped to a few machines they all would have ended up dead. with the other two, no one even knew till after i got home.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• O.P. it is NOT wrong to have one and not the other. Your Mother is YOUR Mother. His Mother is not. Maybe say as soon as baby is born she can come in. If you already think she MIGHT hold stuff against you..NOWAY would I let her be there. She can hold against you not having her there...but a lot of people will understand that. You screaming at your husband four letter words will not be so easily understood.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• One and not the other?
    I don't see how this is really relevant to childbirth...
    ;-)
    You can not have any family there at all, just your neighbor. Or just your doula. Or just your sorority sisters.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Trust me on this. I had my SIL in the room with me and she only made things harder for me.....she kept trying to crack jokes like "Sure feels better going in then coming out" If I could go back in time...it would have been me and my DH (now ex) in the room. I feel like giving birth is personal (at least now I do) MIL should see the baby once things have settled down.
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2010