How do I get my 6 moth old to sleep through the night?

My ds is 6 moths old almost 7 and he will do this sleep though the night for like 3-4 nights then its back up at 1am or 2am and he goes to sleep around 830-9 pm. He gets a jar of food and a bottle before bed. So any ideas on how to get him to sleep through the night all the time?

Rhiannon1980

Asked by Rhiannon1980 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some children don't sleep through the night until they are much much older. It is just part of life. You can't "make" them sleep by feeding them special ways or giving them a special lovie.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yeah... Good luck! My kids are 3 & 4 years old, never once have we had a "full night" sleep... 6months is still a baby, I would NEVER expect a full night at that age!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• PATIENCE :) hang in there
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Give it time, it will happen. Many do not sleep through the night mean 8 or 10 hours until much later.. Sleep through the night in baby terms is 5 hours straight so technically your child is doing that :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• instead of baby food try some rice cereal along with his bottle the rice cereal it is thicker so will keep him full longer, also some kids don't sleep through the night, mine are 5 and 6 and they still get up in the middle of the night, But they don't wake us up they just come in our bed lol... I hope this helped Good luck
    toriturtle

Answer by toriturtle at 9:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Some kids aren't ready to sleep through the night at that age. My oldest didn't sleep through the night until he was 4 years old. I got lucky with my youngest, he started sleeping thru the night at 7 weeks.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• neither of mine started sleeping through the night until 2.5 yrs old
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• thank you all I just thought i was doing something wrong because so many people have told me he should be sleeping though the night and he is not I feel much better now thank you
    Rhiannon1980

Comment by Rhiannon1980 (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Try the babywise books, worked great with my son. Nighttime sleep in an important part of baby's development so it's best to have them sleeping through the night as soon as possible.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 9:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Sleeping through the night for an infant is considering 5 straight hours. And like the other posters said, there is no way to MAKE your child sleep through the night. My 15 month old still gets up once. Its part of being a parent and part of having a baby.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2010