Operation Christmas Child...?

Do you participate? What kind of things do you include in the boxes.

This year my son's and I are doing it for the first time. I am so excited about teaching them about the joy of giving.

For those that have never heard of it...

"Operation Christmas Child is a 'global Christmas gift exchange' project operated by Samaritan's Purse. Each November it opens thousands of locations, typically at churches or schools, to collect shoeboxes filled with toys, school supplies, personal items, and other gifts. These are then distributed as Christmas gifts to millions of children each year. Gift boxes are collected in North America, Europe, and Australia. From 1993 through 2008, some 69 million gift boxes have been handed out in more than 130 countries." ~ Wiki

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 9:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Holidays

• I do every year. I usually fill it with random toys and things like a bar of soap and a hand towel.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• AprilDJC- it does have to be new items, and they do appreciate school items like pencils, pens, paper, calculator, etc. I've put in toys from around my house that looked new though, like a beanie baby that was never really played with and things. Every box is inspected before it's sent out so if there is something put in there that isn't acceptable it will be removed before the box is sent to a child. They also don't want any weapons or war related toys.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't do it now becuase I can't even really afford much to do christmas for my own kids. BUT when I was younger I did it with my grandmother. Her church made it a goal to fill up the uhaul and actually they've had years where there's JUST enough room in the truck for the driver. I think last year she sadi they had to rent a semi to get all their boxes in.
    But they have thign so you say what age and gender of a child you're going to do, like girl 3-5 or whatever it was. She'd get those plastic "shoeboxes" and then each of us kids would get one and we'd go to the dollar store and she'd have us pick out whatever we wanted to fit into that shoebox. Didn't really matter to her what we got and then she'd just have 'em ring it up and pay for it. Someday I hope to do somethign with my kids, though if we're still where we are now it'll be Suf-a-Bus, where they try to fill up the local bus system bus with donations around the holidays
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 1:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes - small toys, mittens, small tshirt. Our church does minimum 1000 boxes every year and they always hand out a list of suggested items.

Answer by missanc at 9:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• never heard of it but thats really nice
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 10:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Does it have to be new stuff or can you donate used? And I have lots of school supplies, is that something they want?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• They are doing it this year at my college. I participated with my own box and then my CKI group is hopefully making up 4 or more of their own. We don't really have that big of a campus but they want to get atleast 100 boxes out! I think it is great. I usually can find some great toys and stuff and the dollar store or walmart. I usually pick up some toys, hygiene products and a scarf or a hat.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 10:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I've done it every year for the past 10 years or so. The first year I did it I only sent one box and the girl wrote me letter! That is the only time it has ever happened and I've been told by the people where I drop it off that it's very rare to get a letter back. It went to a 10 year old girl in Ghana. I've done 4-5 boxes every year since. Anyway, I put soap, toothbrush, candy, crayons, pencils, sharpener and a small pad of paper in every box. And then different little toys and things in each box. Some things I have in this years bozes are: little wind up fishing games, recorders, harmonicas, markers, Hello kitty socks, cars, balls, little dinosaurs, small stuffed animals, small dolls like Kelly dolls, puzzles, yo-yo, finger puppets, play jewelry, etc.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• "Does it have to be new stuff or can you donate used? And I have lots of school supplies, is that something they want?"

----

I am not sure. You could look up a drop off location near you to find out though.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/Drop_Off_Locations/

SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Actually, our community is one of poverty itself. There are many moms who are the sole supporters for their families because the men have given themselves to drinking and depression. There are a lot of single moms and elderly as well, We try to get out blankets and food boxes so that at least each family will have a Turkey dinner. At Christmas, we have a party and try to give each child at least one gift. A lot of times its supplies for school and maybe a board game or an outfit or a winter coat. Just depends what the needs are. This year with winter coming in early, I'm sure a lot are going to need mittens, caps, coats, boots, socks, and blankets. Plz keep our community in prayer. Its been hard to stretch that dollar because we are in the mountains. Everything has gone up 30% in the way of food. Eggs are $4.25 a dozen for example.... I'm glad they have something for others around the world. Maybe next year....
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 6:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2010