For The Christians here at Cafemom

If your son or daughter came to you and told you they were gay. How would you respond? I wish I could answer my own question...but I can't. I can say I would still love them with all I have in me.

tracylyn245

Asked by tracylyn245 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• He or she is my child.  I would support and love him or her, no matter what.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 10:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My hope would be that it wouldn't be a surprise to me and I would already know because I would be enough involved in his life that it wouldn't be a shock. After that, I would let him know that I loved him and that he could count on my support while he dealt with the extended family and with life, generally. I want my kids to be happy.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Accept them for who they are! They are your child!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I obviously wouldn't be thrilled about it but I wouldn't love or treat them any differently than I do now. I believe people are born gay so how can you be upset with someone over something they didn't choose? The number rule of being a parent is unconditional love. You might not like or be happy with everything your child says or does, but you still love them just the same. I think it says more about a mother or father that disowns their child, than it does about the child being gay.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Love them in spite of it, and pray for them daily .... kinda like what I'm already doing.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• accept them, love them
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 10:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If you only knew the amount of teens that end their lives because of rejection or the FEAR of rejection by their family.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would be sad...b/c of my beliefs on the issue and b/c of all the hardships they face, I dont wanna see my kids have a tough time.....but I LOVE my kids and would never turn them away or turn my back on them.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would love him or her and accept their truth. That is the loving thing to do.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Exactly how a friend of mine at church did. Love her and let her find her way back to God... and she did. She no longer lives the lifestyle and is free!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010