How do I get my one year old son to eat more than just baby food?

He wants nothing to do with food unless its in a jar! I am on WIC which provided me with formula and baby food and now it has stopped since he turned one. I now get whole milk, cheese eggs beans cereal and fruit/veggies. How do I get him to eat more table food?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 10:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him finger food like cheerios or kix
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Stick it in a jar and give it to him. Either cooked and pureed yourself or cooked and cut into finger-food portions.
    Anonymous

• I would buy some baby food and start mixing it with real, table food. I would offer him lots of choices. Keep offering, he will eat it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• he will eat that and stuff like animal crackers and graham crackers. but not nutritious foods at all! he spits out ALL meats even hot dogs!!! He has 12 teeth so I know he can chew almost everything but he just is being stubborn!
    Alysia_Moore

Comment by Alysia_Moore (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• He just needs to get used to all the new textures and tastes, it has nothing to with being stubborn. Just keep offering the tablefoods and he will get used to them. It will take time, but he will get used to them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• ok first of all, why would you ever give your 1 year old son a hot dog? not only is it a choking hazard, but its disgusting garbage. please do not give your 1 yr old son hot dogs. thank you.
    anyway, you should start off with soft things like mashed potatoes. also try mac and cheese and speggati because that is also soft. also, start off by dipping bread in his baby food, or adding rice into the baby food. and then go from there...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• ok first off, they were organic turkey dogs, second, I cut them in tiny pieces and peeled off the skin. I did not ask for opinions on WHAT I give my son. and I ate hot dogs when I was younger and Im pretty sure you probably did too so Im sure he will be fine even with a regular one. besides, like I said, he wont eat it. thank you.
    Alysia_Moore

Comment by Alysia_Moore (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Try avocado, baked sweet potatoes and the like they are mushy and you can gradually thicken them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Bananas, mashed or spooned out of the skin
    applesauce - easy to make on the stovetop, just chop and add some water and sugar to taste, simmer until soft, then mash or puree
    mashed potatoes -- you can add milk and butter to give them more calories
    Make sure he is drinking enough whole milk during the day
    meatballs -- I buy frozen ones and just pull out what my kids will eat that day. Heat them through in gravy or tomato sauce. You could also make your own and freeze them.
    hummus is a good protein source
    peanut butter is a really good food for kids if they are not allergic

Mostly, think about what you are making for yourself and try to adapt it for him. My nephew eats sardines because my sister likes them.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Oh, and don't forget grilled cheese sandwiches cut up really small, scrambled eggs, french toast and pancakes
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:17 AM on Nov. 16, 2010