• In the Spotlight:

Question...

What do I need to do to help me dilate faster? I was told to do squats like 10 a day? does that really help? when I have sex I have contractions but they stop after awhile

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• That's strange because I have never heard of squats helping. It is speculated that walking can help, because it causes the baby to put pressure on the cervix and may make you dilate/efface faster. However, overall (and I know this isn't what you want to hear) there is not much you can do. Labor will happen when the baby is ready. Believe me - with my first, I tried everything - my husband and I were going at it like rabbits, lol, we were taking looooong walks every morning and night, I was eating spicy foods and heavy foods...and baby still came after her due date!

Please don't try anything to "induce" labor if you are still a ways away from your due date, though. I know how it feels to just want the baby out (I'm at 32 weeks in my 2nd pregnancy and so ready to be done too!) but the longer you let your baby "cook", the better chance they have of being healthy. That's the most important thing! :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2008