Bottlefeedings w/Breastmilk @ Night??????

My little girl is 4wks old and has been exclusively breastfed. Due to ppd I'm getting really overwhelmed with bf'ding and was contemplating expressing milk @ night and giving it to her in a bottle. Is this ok to do? I feel like a bad mom for wanting to do this. I know she'll take my milk in a bottle because we had to during an emergency last week. HELP!!

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes its fine! i EP so my dd gets breast milk in a bottle 24/7 since she could never latch right! and best of all hubby can give her a bottle with u get some sleep!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It's fine but sometimes pumping is easy for some moms, so I'd just make sure it's something you can do with out adding more stress. And what PP said, is what I did sometimes, I would pump a lot of milk during time when I was just sitting around, and many nights when I knew I was just going to want to skip a night feeding to sleep a little longer, I would defrost one of the bags of milk and when my son got hungry he would already have the bottle ready to go.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• yes you can :) shouldnt feel bad about it can join Breastfeeding Moms group  there lots of help

Gen

Answer by Gen at 10:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• oh---and I would make my SO get up so I didn't have to.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You can, but if you don't want to damage your supply, you really should be pumping around the time that baby is getting a bottle. So, you would have to wake up anyway. I'm sure it can and has been done, but personally, I don't think its a good idea (*meaning, it's not something I would do, but wouldn't tell another mom not to if it works for them*) I'm sorry I'm really tired and not sure if I'm making sense.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Ohhhhh if you're talking about waking, pumping, and feeding EBM regularly, yourself, then supply isn't as much an issue. Personally, that would be too much for me to do in the middle of the night, but if it works for you, go for it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Ditto Krysta. If you want someone else to feed baby for a night or so... sure. But any longer than a night or two and you will NEED to pump at night to keep your supply up (plus, you will probably wake engorged and in pain anyway). If *you* plan to feed baby from a bottle... why make more work for yourself??

Are you co-sleeping?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree with Kryst622 and LeanneC.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Breastmilk in a bottle still has every benefit of breastmilk directly from the source. If you want to continue breastfeeding but are overwhelmed with the constant nursing (which I can totally sympathize with) then pumping is an excellent option and definitely more than ok to do.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Breastmilk in a bottle still has every benefit of breastmilk directly from the source

Actually, it doesn't, but it's pretty darn close. When you nurse from the breast, the baby's saliva "tells" your body specifically what it needs. It's hard to explain, and I'm in no way saying that pumped milk isn't any good, just want to put the info out there.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:52 AM on Nov. 16, 2010