Is it okay for a teacher to punish autistic child?

I have a pdd autistic 1st grader who cannot remember anything let alone bring in his homework on time. I have to do the remembering for him. This weekend we were surprised by a project sent home friday and due on Monday, we completed the project and left it out to dry, and also I forgot to put it in his bookbag, well he came home today telling me he was punished and the teacher took away his recess because of it. I felt angry because this happened once before and she was told by the principal and learning support teacher not to do this, and she did it again, the bad thing was, I wasnt even told about this. No note no phonecall nothing. just y son coming home very upset, and one wonders why he hates school. Its hard enough to get him to go regularly, I am thinking of homerschooling. Opinions?

protectivemompa

Asked by protectivemompa at 10:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Autistic or not I think that there needs to be some form of disipline. That being said I think that whatever the method of disipline it should be based around the needs and abilities of the child, and should be somewhat agreed on by all parties. It does seem weird that the teacher would be expected to call you before disiplining your child, it's just part of the day when you are a teacher.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Homeschooling is great but can be stressful. Being autist (I work with autistic children) it is probably good that he be around people. I think you should talk to his teacher. Remember that he wont have this teacher forever so try to settle any issues.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If his IEP states what types of discipline can be used with him and she went against that, she can get in trouble. I think YOU should be having a talk with the teacher, principal and any support staff your son works with, so the teacher KNOWS what is acceptable and what isn't. I don't think being Autistic or having other disorder means no discipline, but it should be appropriate to the child, disorder and what is in an IEP.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Just because your son is Autistic doesn't mean he can't be punished.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Jena, he has an IEP but it does not cover the punishment thing. I feel that that is expecting a lot from a 1st grader and esecially one that cannot remember anything. Put it this way, no amount of punishing him at this stage will help him remember to bring in homework tha tis not the usual homework, that was a project that was 'out of the blue' so to speak. so far i like your answer best.:-)
    protectivemompa

Comment by protectivemompa (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I do think that he does need some sort of discipline as a way to help him remember things but that's probably not the best method here. Maybe assign him to write a few paragraphs about why it's important to remember homework as an extra assignment or something
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 11:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• thanks Apry I think thats a great idea, I do feel its like forcing a blind person to see when they are clearly disabled. I am not dooming him to failure but I think his young mind is too full of responsibility as it is trying to remember a thing that is not a regular thing to do. he has 12 pages of homework a week, on top of being forced to read a book a week and a studying for spelling test on friday. its too much if you ask me.
    protectivemompa

Comment by protectivemompa (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think the teacher should have called you and discussed it before she doled out discipline. If discipline was neccessary, it should have been given after she spoke with you.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:22 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes. If we want our special needs students to have the same rights as a non special needs, same punishments should apply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• only you know your child and know if regular schools are too much for him. it isnt fair to expect (and it wont happen) every teacher he is assigned to change every policy for him. yes i have seen IEP students punished for failing to remember projects, just like the other kids, that is apart of the socialization that people want when they chose regular schools (vs being in a resource room or a specialized school) frankly there are a lot of kids that arent getting all the help they need because districts can only provide so much, you kinda get the bare minimum. and their parents fail to admit --- it isnt working! or it could be better somewhere else. you have to look at the situation from the long run, and in the end - what do you want for him? if it is to function independently - then he needs to be held to at least some of the same rules as the peer group.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010