Has anyone else's LOs have to spend time in the NICU, and if so why??

So my son was born by an emergency c-section because we found out that there was an infection in my placenta and now he has to spend 2 weeks in the NICU...

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 10:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my water broke at 34 weeks. he had an e-coli infection from my water being broken for around 60 hrs. He was there for a week and is perfect now at 17 months old! :)
    it sucks though right. i HATED leaving him there! i had a c-section also, but I didnt care.. i drove to the hospital to see him every day.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I was diagnosed with severe preeclampsia at 33 weeks and had to deliver right away. Tess was born weighing 2 lbs 15 oz and only 16" long. She had no major issues, just some light anemia and one day of light treatment for jaundice. She spent 28 days in the NICU to fatten up to 4 lbs or so.

It was tough! I was only allowed to hold her once a day for an hour. So in my spare time I got the nursery finished, recovered from my c-section, and got ready to bring home a very small baby.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My twins were born at 33 weeks, so they spent 3 weeks in the NICU. I was told that they would be there the entire 7 weeks that they were early, but they did so well they got to come home early. I hated when they were in the Nicu though...made me cry everytime.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I had an emergency c-section and my son's head got stuck. It took them 17 min to get him out and two doctors to do it. He didn't breathe for 2 min and they almost lost both of us. He was put in NICU and intubated. Thankfully the kid is crazy resiliant and was out of NICU in 48 hours. I on the other hand, ended up with an infection and was stuck in the hosp for 5 days. I am so sorry you are going thru this. It is hard having a baby in NICU. Hang in there.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My oldest was born at 30 weeks, I had severe Pre-e. She was 2lbs 11oz and 14 1/2 inches. She was in for 4 weeks and did fantastic. She's now 11 and hitting her pre-teen stage. fun fun lol

My twins were also at 30 weeks. I had pre-e with them, plus hellp syndrome. They were in a great hospital and were there for 7 and 8 weeks. They'll be 2 in january and have been doing awesome.
    Rosalie30

Answer by Rosalie30 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I had a placental abruption very early in my pregnancy and my went into labor and had an emergency c-section at exactly 24 weeks.

My son spent 16 weeks in the NICU, and came home on his due date.

It was the most difficult thing I have ever had to deal with.

I have a daughter as well, so I had to split my time between staying home with her and spending time with him in the NICU.

I pumped, and while he was in the hospital he never had formula. It made me feel really good that although I couldn't be with him all the time, he was receiving my milk. Sometimes it felt like that was the only thing I could really do for him and I'd like to think that he did as well as he did because of it.

I wish the best to you and your family.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 5:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I had placenta previa, and we had my son via emergency c at 34 weeks. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU, he was having trouble regulating his body temperature and eating. I'm happy to say that he hasn't had any serious issues since, and he is now almost 3.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:26 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My full term vaginal delivery son had to spend several days in the NICU - he had shoulder dystocia and breathing problems at birth.

Answer by missanc at 1:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes my son was born with neonatel alloimmune thrombocytopenia ...
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I hope he does well and get's to come home soon! Keep me updated. I looked at pics and he is adorable!
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 4:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2010